Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

PaulM

Portable heater to keep the cold away

S'exactly what I own & use...

• Thanks 1

Good idea. Never thought of a small gas heater like that. May try it out when it gets colder in winter. 

Don't be making your own poor seeing ! You can experience this at star parties over central heated tents ! Good thermals , especially neck protection, good socks , boots and a hat will keep the cold out . Nick.

• Like 6

There are many designs of pads that contain a jelly that can be microwaved for a few minutes. The heat lasts for several hours, hang one round your neck suspended inside your jacket.   ?

As a baldy a good thermal hat is the way forward. Low tech and doubles up for darks  and bias frames.

• Like 2

Not exactly that - I prefer to get wrapped up well - but I have just bought a small upright fan heater which I have put in the Dobhouse so that after a session the damp Dob can be dried off quickly.  £10 from Aldi - marvellous!

Doug.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Not exactly that - I prefer to get wrapped up well - but I have just bought a small upright fan heater which I have put in the Dobhouse so that after a session the damp Dob can be dried off quickly.  £10 from Aldi - marvellous!

Doug.

Great fan of Aldi's middle aisle. Currently sipping a drop of Aldi's malt whiskey

Edited by Hawksmoor
  • Like 2

I wouldn't dream of using a heater. Assuming the night is still enough to reap any potential benefits from it, the thermals are still likely to interfere with your viewing. 

Think of watching a fire on a still night and remember how the smoke still seems to chase you around. 

An old ski jacket and pair of salopettes works for me.  I think my wife bought the salopettes from the local charity shop.

James

• Like 1

On 22/10/2018 at 23:56, JamesF said:

An old ski jacket and pair of salopettes works for me.  I think my wife bought the salopettes from the local charity shop.

James

+1 for the skiing sallopettes.

I think any kind heater would just wreck you local seeing. It's why our scopes are left to cool down before use.