Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
kev100

Brief session with new Skymaster 20x80s

Hi all,

Although I've owned a pair of Celestron Skymaster 20x80s for over six years now, but because they went badly out of collimation, I haven't used them for ages. I sent them back to Celestron, but, apparently, they couldn't be repaired. Amazingly, though, they gave me a brand new pair (!), and these arrived yesterday. 

Once mounted on the tripod I took a look at the 69% waxing Moon. Absolutely incredible view! Sharp, bright, big, three-dimensional, and only the very slightest hint of chromatic aberration. Kept coming back to this over the course of the evening.

Next up M31 and M33. Although quite washed out by the moonlight (as was everything I looked at), I was amazed at the brightness, the size, and the hint of detail in M31. Again, the three-dimensionality was obvious. M33 was only just visible.

Open clusters: Double cluster, Owl cluster, Coathanger – all were fantastic, with a variety of star colours obvious, and only a hint of distortion around the edge of the fov (really had to drag my eyes away from the objects in the middle of the fov to experience it). The Coathanger pretty much filled the fov, and was pin sharp and bright.

Double stars: Epsilon Lyrae, a very easy split, as was Albireo (again, the different colours were obvious). Mesarthim was just too tight to split. In passing, one of the things that amazed me the most last night was star colour. Mirach, Algol, Vega and many others were all pin sharp, bright, and their colours were very obvious.

Globulars: M15 and 92 were small and dense fuzzy balls, M13 bigger, brighter, and with just a hint of granulation to it (like the Moon, I kept coming back to M13).

Ring nebula: The ring shape was obvious, even at x20, though small. 

Being a work night, I was back indoors by about 10, but although just a brief session, it was hugely enjoyable, and a real buzz to be using 20x80 bins again.

Cheers,

Kev.

• Like 5

Glad you got the Skymasters back Kev - and a new pair at that!! Very good service there.

I also popped out for half an hour last night with my 20x80's, from about 10:30pm. My first proper look at the moon, and I was pretty blown away! I will be adding the session to my Blog her on SGL on Monday next week!

Clear Skies!

Nige

Edited by Nigeyboy

Cheers Nigel, and I really have to hand it to Celestron for their customer care. Extraordinary!

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:33, kev100 said:

they gave me a brand new pair (!)

Well ,that good folks of Celestron. great service, the view must be stunning on the moon. Nice report.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Heyyy its me again! Today me and my friend went out to observe! We spotted the moon and focused on it,took some okay pictures with my phone without an adapter( that means having to hold up my phone over the eyepiece 's tiny  hole). Then we tried moving towards mars, relatively close to the moon. It wanst a dot but like a small circle with some colour, afterwards we moved towards stars,but instead of seeing these circles with the secondary s reflection in the middle, we saw small circles (like mars but smaller) they were green blue and red coloured i didn't think much of it but then i checked the mirror. And i saw some dust.... Pics bellow.Is it the mirror or is this normal? Also if its the mirror, how do i clean it without removing it, i have a celestron firstscope btw. 
      Thanks.

• By anachristina
      Hi! I am very new to SGL (just signed up a couple of mins earlier) and to astronomy as well, though I have been facinated with celestial bodies since I can remember.  I recently purchased a Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ but now I’m having troubles using it and I can’t seem to see anything through it. I also have a Celestron collimating eyepiece but I still can’t seem to make it work. Anyone here who has experience with the same scope? Would appreciate if we could chat a bit as I would be really interested in your experience and how you ultimately made it work!
    • By Ralphf
      Hi. Was up at dawn observing Mercury rising in the southeast and slowly swept my binoculars left. I was able to vaguely see a small triangle formed by Upsilon Ophiuchi, HR  6128 and HR 6137. That was the limit of view as sunlight was washing out anything else to the left of that. But I clicked on the adjacent HR6144 star in my Sky Guide app and it lists as being 6,900 light years away. When I checked the Ski Safari app, the same star is listed as 1,900 light years. I went online and found little info but, “In the Sky” web page it’s HR 6144 at 9 kilo years / 9,000 light years. Does anyone have any info as to why the huge discrepancies?
      https://in-the-sky.org/data/object.php?id=TYC5627-1490-1
      Thanks in advance for your help. 
    • By HarisAyd
      I just wanted to ask y'all about the digital binoculars, my mate has one and it looks like i need one as well. The one he has is very expensive but im looking for something cheap to start off with. Something from about 100-200 bux, i was looking through some sites and found these
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-Digital-Binoculars-Telescope-12x32-Folding-with-Built-in-Digital-Camera-DV/163251640671?epid=27018286369&hash=item26028e595f:g:3poAAOSw83dblzhN:rk:3:pf:0
      https://www.amazon.com.au/Digital-Camera-Binoculars-Recorder-Camcorder/dp/B01N5LW543/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1544653243&sr=8-7&keywords=digital+binoculars
      but then i found a site with a nice digital binocular which looks alright but I want to ask you guys if i should buy this one,
      https://www.gadgetcity.com.au/digital-telescope-binoculars-camera-2"-screen-1.3mp-p-3262.html
    • By KP82
      Anyone here familiar with this Vixen binoculars, Vixen Binoculars Ascot ZR 8 x 42WP
      I can't seem to find any reviews on the net. It costs around £140, about the same as many other low-mid range porro models from top tier brands such as Nikon Action EX.
      While Vixen refractors (Made in Japan models e.g. ED81S) are known for quality, their binos seem to be very inconsistent according to many reviews (other models). I'd be glad to hear some personal experiences with Vixen binos even if it isn't the model I listed.
      Many thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.