SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

STF 425 - AN's Double Star of the Month for October

STF 425 is well worth a look, and easy to find by hopping from  nearby M45. The appearance is similar to car headlamps at a distance, with two close but well separated whitish stars, mags 7.5 and 7.6, separated by 1.9 arcsec (Stelledoppie). The best separation with my 180 Mak was at x270 and x190 - beautifully defined with both showing the first diffraction ring. There is another faint field? star close to the pair.

My first outing with the scope covered in insulated Al/polystyrene! A successful experiment, with very nice and sharp views of other doubles including Epsilon Lyrae, Delta Cygni and an exquisite Lambda Cygni. The scope gave very sharp views immediately, despite the rapidly cooling air and dew/frost beginning to form on the outside of the insulation (and me). As stated elsewhere (CN), the insulation appeared to stave off dewing-up.

The Aberrator simulation of STF 425 is pretty close to the visual view at x270:-

Chris

stf 425sim.jpg

Archived