SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M33 WIP now with DSLR colour

tooth_dr

Last night was really clear, and as per usual it coincided with our bimonthly astro club meeting!  I usually don't get home til after 10:30pm form the meetings.

This was my first go at (almost) completely remote imaging. I say almost because I had to call the wife and get her to open the roof of the shed.  Apart from that I orchestrated the entire imaging session via Team Viewer from my mobile!  Luckily it was still focused from last night, and seems to be ok still.  I may consider investing in a motor focuser.

I only stacked the lights without calibration.  This is my first lum image with the CCD.  There are about 4 hours data in this.  I will update when I get time to process it and add the colour data I took with a DSLR.

M33_test_stack.jpg

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Last night was really clear, and as per usual it coincided with our bimonthly astro club meeting!  I usually don't get home til after 10:30pm form the meetings.

This was my first go at (almost) completely remote imaging. I say almost because I had to call the wife and get her to open the roof of the shed.  Apart from that I orchestrated the entire imaging session via Team Viewer from my mobile!  Luckily it was still focused from last night, and seems to be ok still.  I may consider investing in a motor focuser.

I only stacked the lights without calibration.  This is my first lum image with the CCD.  There are about 4 hours data in this.  I will update when I get time to process it and add the colour data I took with a DSLR.

M33_test_stack.jpg

Very nice Adam! Looking forward to the final result ?

I haven’t been to a lecture in what seems like ages. My better half does Yoga on Wednesday evenings now too, so not much chance of that changing anytime soon it would seem!

You were right about last night, it was nice and clear for pretty much the whole night. Once the missus arrived back, I set off for the family home (in Crumlin) where I have to do all my imaging these days. I left the rig out running the whole night (a first for me), while I slept from around midnight to 6am. I felt a bit nervous I have to admit, but thankfully everything was still there and in working order the next morning.

Got around 7 hrs worth of subs on M31 so looking forward to processing that over the course of the next week.

17 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Very nice Adam! Looking forward to the final result ?

I haven’t been to a lecture in what seems like ages. My better half does Yoga on Wednesday evenings now too, so not much chance of that changing anytime soon it would seem!

You were right about last night, it was nice and clear for pretty much the whole night. Once the missus arrived back, I set off for the family home (in Crumlin) where I have to do all my imaging these days. I left the rig out running the whole night (a first for me), while I slept from around midnight to 6am. I felt a bit nervous I have to admit, but thankfully everything was still there and in working order the next morning.

Got around 7 hrs worth of subs on M31 so looking forward to processing that over the course of the next week.

It was a great night.  I got some Sii of pacman, some M33, and finished up with a few subs of M42!  Looking forward to your M31, I know it will be epic!

Good skies you have! You caught a lot of details and the image still looks smooth after stretching. Looking forward for the coloured version.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Luckily it was still focused from last night, and seems to be ok still.

?

I've added my colour data - 54 x 300s DSLR.  I'm disappointed with it, it looks just like a flat pink blob :(

I cant seem to find the contrast I'm looking for.  Perhaps I'm asking too much for exposure time and kit (and processing ability)

M33 WIP COMBINED.jpg

Archived