Narrowband

Telrad ?

Just now, PaulM said:

I've mounted mine as high as I could as it will be difficult to use if you are looking high up if its mounted low

Nice one thanks Paul, i wasn’t sure what’s best as never used anything on mine.

im hoping it comes today after waiting 2 weeks ?

I mounted mine at a similar height to the eyepiece. If I cannot see through the eyepiece I won't need to be using the telrad.

If only there was a right angle attachment  for a telrad, that would be perfect.  *gets pad and pencil and begins the design process*

Edit -too late, just found there is one https://www.365astronomy.com/Telrad-Dew-Shield-Plus-Dew-Shield-for-Telrad-with-Mirror-for-Right-Angled-Viewing.html

2 hours ago, dhb368 said:

I mounted mine at a similar height to the eyepiece. If I cannot see through the eyepiece I won't need to be using the telrad.

If only there was a right angle attachment  for a telrad, that would be perfect.  *gets pad and pencil and begins the design process*

Edit -too late, just found there is one https://www.365astronomy.com/Telrad-Dew-Shield-Plus-Dew-Shield-for-Telrad-with-Mirror-for-Right-Angled-Viewing.html

The 2" riser  and 4" riser  base plates are useful for helping to ease neck strain when using a Telrad on smaller scopes (I use one on my 10" Dob) :) 

Congrats on the 12" Dob!  I have mine up by the EP on both my dobs.

Before I committed to placing it on on my 10", I simply used masking tape to attach it and try out where I was going to ultimately stick it :)

Well my telrad arrived late yesterday, and wow how much easier it make like, used Polaris to set it up, simple to set up, simply to use, lucky having clear skies last night, was able to point & shot with ease. 

15 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Long live the ancient tetrad, always been my fav pointer!

Mine too, by a country mile. How I detest the ones with watch batteries which die if you leave them on. I've left my Telrad on for a month and still not flattened the batteries. I think my oldest Telrad is now twenty.

Olly

On 18/10/2018 at 04:04, dhb368 said:

I did try one of these once, but actually I think it misses the point. Looking through a Telrad straight on, you see the rings against the wider sky this makes positioning the scope much easier. With the mirror, you see a much smaller area and it is reversed so it doesn’t work as intuitively.

Archived