Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blasted foot!

Kn4fty

We had a beautiful clear night here in Kaintuck, so I set the ETX 70 up. I had a little trouble getting it level. My folks driveway is a gravel old school driveway with dips and humps. Took about 20 minutes to level it. Then I thought I'd try the easy alignment. It kept going to stars behind the trees. So I reset and did a 2 star alignment on Vega and Altair. My first target of the night was M13 in Hercules. Despite the Moon, that beautiful globular cluster was shining bright. It wasn't quite centered so I used the keys to center it. Then the scope moved it right back. I fought with the scope for about ten minutes until it finally stayed centered. I recorded the info for the cluster and made a sketch. The little scope wouldn't magnify enough to show individual stars, but I still enjoyed the view. One of my brothers came out for a look then went back in due to the cold. 

I then punched in M92 in Hercules. This globular cluster was visually smaller and needed averted vision to really reveal it. I recorded it and sketched it. Like M51, this cluster did not breakdown into individual stars. 

Next I punched in Luna and the scope swung to it. I threw on a lunar filter and it became a comfortable level for my eyes. The sharpness of the view was amazing. As much as I love my newt, it doesn't seem to give as sharp a view of the Moon as the little frac. I recorded the session and began to sketch the terminator. I had just finished the upper part of the view and was adding some final touches when my foot hit the tripod and I lost the view. Augh! Blasted giant foot!! I then happened to glance up and noticed heavy clouds getting ready to cover the Moon. I packed everything up and called it a night. 

The little ETX 70 might not be able to give the views of my 8" newt overall, but I'm enjoying it and enjoying having a scope that is easy to transport. It was a short night, but a good one.

Rob

M13 is in Hercules, The great globular cluster. M51 is in Canes Venatici The Whirlpool Galaxy for future reference, the amount of times I've kicked a tripod leg and had to restart again.

Anoying to say the least when your having a great session.

Hahahaha your right! Blasted mind! That's what I meant! Thanks for pointing it out! I was wanting to look at 51 but trees where in the way. Guess it stuck in my mind. I'll edit.

Yeah my foot hits my EQ mount too, but it's so heavy it doesn't move.

Archived