SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kielder newb

Ally8446

Hi folks. I'm considering the possibility of booking a tent pitch (with EHU preferably) for next Kielder star party spring 2019. As I have a dob is there a preferred area/pitch numbers for visual only or is it come one come all ? Any local knowledge/advice would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch :) 

Regards Al 

Hi Al,

There are no pitch numbers. There are some hard standing pitches at the top field.  I  think the hard standing EHU pitches go first. I am visual so just camp in the bottom field with no EHU. If you get some good conditions the sky is fantastic. 

Bish

I had booked to attend the Autumn Starcamp for the Friday, Saturday evening. The adverse weather forecast (storm Callum) for camping looked potentially grim, therefore decided to miss the event. The bottom field as Bish has said is for camping, I think drainage had improved in recent years, been a few years since I'd attended, but in prolonged wet weather the field gets muddy. The very least wellies will be needed. For the dobsonian, a good substantial ground mat would be required. Combatting condensation will be a factor, my plan would be to use a 12v hairdryer sourced through a 12v battery. The new warm room facility looks to be excellent and wash rooms are in good order. The Kielder Castle café is great for breakfasts and other meals.

The Spring star-camp as I recall can potentially be excellent, very cold and with snow conditions possible. How much of the event are you planning on going for? I will need to decide whether to risk booking once more since I can only make a Friday, Saturday evening because of work. I expect that I will consider though (anticipating that it just might be excellent conditions) as like if you do the lottery, the week you decide to miss and your numbers probably come up.  

5 hours ago, NoelinLiverpool said:

Hi Bish how many times have you been ? I have booked a pitch for next spring and all be the first time there for me as well.

Noel

Hi Noel,

I’ve been 5 times. I book up most years but often can’t make it because of work. As mentioned above wellies, something to stand your scope on (they used to have cut logs) and dew control are essential. I have  dew strips and a 12v hair dryer.

Bish

Archived