SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Registar questions before purchase.

Before I buy this software I was wondering if anyone can answer a couple of Qs please.!  I've been using PS automerge with limited success, and manually aligning them is not easy!

1) I've used the trial version, it lacks save.  How do the aligned frames be saved for subsequent use in eg PS.

2) Are there any limitations? I want to use it to combine CCD and CMOS generated files.

3) If I'm taking an image at 2x2, does the smaller binned image just get fed into the programme, and it does all the resizing?

Thanks

adam.

Hello Adam,

As you may have gathered, I am about as tech savvy as a lugworm.....here is my attempt at an answer.  

I do own a copy, but tend not to look too deeply at the options available as they will confuse me.

1)  You register your images ( star location) and then you can 'Crop and pad' to adjust each frame referenced to a master image.  These processes generate a file themselves which can be saved separately.  I just use the end-of-the-line frame as my combination image.

2)  This I do not know for sure, as my NB images are done on the same camera, but have combined CCD  (Atik) and a Canon 600D image 'successfully'.

3) Ah.. this one is a good question.    There is an issue with the frame sizing and files of different origins. REGISTAR may have some sub menu which can deal with this.  What I have done is uploaded the irregular format into PS and then saved with a new resolution profile that fits the other  (more numerous) images.   

( I may have had to do this for no.2 with my 600D images)

Hope this helps.   I'm sure a pixel-lord will comes along soon and put me right.   ;) 

Sean.

I have aligned CCD and DSLR in registar and it did all the work with  regards to  resizing.

IIRC I combined them in PS.

The folder does need to be on the same PC and not on the NAS for me.

I have some data that does need aligning and cropping so if somebody can jog my memory how to it please tell as its been a while.

9 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I wonder is it (PI) as good as combining as Registar is?

I have used both and I only tend to use Registar if PI is having problems - which is rare.

PI contains two processes that I know of StarAlignment and DynamicAlignment. The first works consistently well when registering images from my CCDs - I've never had any problems. If I am combining images derived from different OTAs and/or different CCDs/dslr then DynamicAlignment works amazingly well nearly every time; only on rare occasions have I had to use Registar. I don't regret buying Registar but since buying PI it is rarely used.

As for PI I would not be without the BackgroundExtraction, noise reduction and stretch facilities it offers. I still liket use PS to manipulate colour but that is probably because I have been too lazy to learn how to do it well in PI!

Adrian

I use Registar for mosaics (crop and pad then import as a stack into PS). I tend to do this with non-linear stacks as this suits my workflow - I calibrate, perform non-linear nr, stack, star reduction then STF or Masked Stretch along with Histogram Transformation in PI on my panes. Then it's into Registar to register the panels for the mosaic. I wouldn't be without Registar, it's so quick and easy.

I have also used Registar with great success for preparing data from two different cameras QHY9 and QHT163m for Image Integration. I calibrate the individual subs the register the QHY9 subs to the QHY163 subs in Registar. They then go into PI to be integrated. This works very well.

Registar is also brilliant for taking long FL data and resizing it for use as detail on widefield images. Blazingly fast and accurate.

I know some of these points are outside of the scope of your questions but I can't recommend the software enough. I know that some of it's functions can be performed by PI but I love using both as it suits my workflow. YMMV ?

BTW, when using it to register panels for a mosaic, a lot of users do this in the linear stage. I prefer to faff around in the stretched stage and output 16 bit tiffs that go straight into PS. The 'empty' part of each pane is black and is easily masked/erased by using a colour range selection in PS.

HTH

Rich

If you want to see how Registar works from a saving point of view I did a video tutorial recently to add Ha to an image and during it I demonstrated Registar in action and saving, if you want to take a look.  I have only just started doing video tutorials, mainly to help people I have been teaching to image, and I am limited to 10 minutes using free video capture software, so sometimes it cuts off abruptly.  

1 hour ago, carastro said:

If you want to see how Registar works from a saving point of view I did a video tutorial recently to add Ha to an image and during it I demonstrated Registar in action and saving, if you want to take a look.  I have only just started doing video tutorials, mainly to help people I have been teaching to image, and I am limited to 10 minutes using free video capture software, so sometimes it cuts off abruptly.  

Carole, that video was very helpful, and you have a great voice for listening to ?

6 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Gav.  I bought a full licence of APP last week.  I'm specifically looking to combine CCD data with DSLR data from a dual rig.

You don't need Registar then. You can in APP: 1. load, 2. calibrate (skip configuring if you loaded stacks), 3. analyse, 4. choose reference frame, register, 5. normalize, save normalized frames. And you have the stacks aligned, normalized and still linear.

I only use Registar now for quickly align/rotate a new session with some previous data.

9 hours ago, moise212 said:

You don't need Registar then. You can in APP: 1. load, 2. calibrate (skip configuring if you loaded stacks), 3. analyse, 4. choose reference frame, register, 5. normalize, save normalized frames. And you have the stacks aligned, normalized and still linear.

I only use Registar now for quickly align/rotate a new session with some previous data.

I have never tried combining CCD & DSLR data, but as moise suggests, APP should do this happily. I would imagine that you need to ensure that ‘same camera & optics’ is not selected. Good luck, give it a go as you have APP already and let us know how you get on.

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2018 at 08:16, PhotoGav said:

I have never tried combining CCD & DSLR data, but as moise suggests, APP should do this happily. I would imagine that you need to ensure that ‘same camera & optics’ is not selected. Good luck, give it a go as you have APP already and let us know how you get on.

Hi Gav. I just wanted to update you on this. I’m using APP to very successfully register subs from different cameras. Thanks ??

Archived