Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fireball? Meteor?

asteria

Hi - I've just been over to the S@N forum and noticed a guy posted a message about seeing a fireball - I live in the same area (east Devon) and witnessed the same event I think. Same date, same time. It moved across the sky from SE to NW. It was a very bright orange streak that lasted perhaps 2, maybe 3, seconds. I forgot to mention it in my bino report, but the other writer prompted my memory. I have seen such a thing before, but this one was spectacular.

Any thoughts.

Ed

Why not send your sighting details to:

The International Meteor Organization's Fireball Data Center, FIDAC, responsible for collecting reports on fireballs seen around the world. Reports should be e-mailed to: fidac@imo.net The IMO's Website has more details on fireball observing too: http://www.imo.net

Recent sightings here: http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/fireball_sightings.htm

When was this? We were out in the garden (in Littlehampton, W Sussex) with our scope on Mon 27th Oct (fabulous clear skies and all the streetlights go off at midnight, so were out from midnight til 3:30!), and in total we saw 16 meteorites shoot across the sky.

Most originated from the top of orion (draw a box between Betelgeuse & Bellatrix with Aldebaran and Alnath in Taurus and you'll get the idea). Some were only very quick and faint, others brighter and lasting longer. Probably part of this years Orinids.

Perhaps this is what you saw?

Lea

Hi there - it was Sunday night, 26 October 2008, probably about 7.30PM, it may have been a little later but certainly not after 8PM. It was an incredible sight - a brilliant streak across the sky, fading away after a brief period of time.

Ed

Ah Ha... :thumbright:

Looking at my observing notes for Friday 24th October.

At 2241 travelling East-West..Large fireball meteor lasting 2-3 seconds leaving a trail..

I was on the phone to Steve (Flo) At the time and I think he got a bit worried at my excitement!

Greg

Can someone out there tell me - if I get a fireball overhead how far away from me can it be seen. I assume such things must be pretty local phenomena.

An average meteor is 70 to 120 km above ground, so it can be seen for a considerable distance, but not in the same part of the sky by distant observers. I make that about 400 to 700 km, depending on my ability to do trigonometry.

An average meteor is 70 to 120 km above ground, so it can be seen for a considerable distance, but not in the same part of the sky by distant observers. I make that about 400 to 700 km, depending on my ability to do trigonometry.

Thanks for that sir - guess your quick on the trigo over there. Have you had snow yet this year as we have. (OT I know)

Thanks for that sir - guess your quick on the trigo over there. Have you had snow yet this year as we have. (OT I know)

Every part of Southern Ontario has had snow, except Niagara. I'm not ready for snow, so I'm not letting it snow until I am.

Archived