Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-115 and 116 First desent light with new double Esprit rig

gorann

Clouds are now back again but I managed to collect a bit of first light data with my new rig on Saturday night. It is made up of two Esprits with CMOS cameras. The Esprit 150 was connected to my ASI071MCpro for RGB (ZWO 2" UV/IR block filter) and my new Esprit 100 was connected to my new ASI1600MMpro for Ha (Baader 2" Ha 7nm). 50x5min RGB and 53x5min Ha, so totally 8.6 hours. The night started nice and dark but with progressive deterioration in seeing (mist) that finally stopped me around midnight, but with two scopes I still got a desent amount of data.

I struggled more than usual with processing but it ended in a relatively presentable image I think (mostly done in PS with stacking and a bit of deconvolution done in PI). Ha mainly put into the red channel mixed in as Lighten in PS as @ollypenrice prescribes and it worked best (so thanks Olly!) and a bit Ha into lum. Only calibrated with master darks and no flats as I have no detectible dust bunnies yet and the filters are big (2") so I can place them a few centimeters from the chips.

Info from the APOD site: Sharpless 115 stands just north and west of Deneb, the alpha star of Cygnus. Noted in the in the 1959 catalog by Stewart Sharpless (as Sh2-115) the faint but lovely emission nebula lies along the edge of one of the outer Milky Way's giant molecular clouds, about 7,500 light-years away. The nebular glow is powered by hot stars in star cluster Berkeley 90. The cluster stars are likely only 100 million years old or so and are still embedded in Sharpless 115. But the stars' strong winds and radiation have cleared away much of their dusty, natal cloud.

I have so far not made an effort to find out what that possible planetary nebula to the right is called. I am sure some SGLer knows.

The FOW of this combination is not a perfect match and my Ha data is more wide field and I may have an additional go at processing it separately.

Comments and suggestions most welcome!

_20181014_Sh2_115_E150ASI071RGB_PS26smallSign.jpg

20181013_163717_resized.jpg

11 hours ago, don4l said:

Nice job!

The "Planetary" is known as SH2-116 or Abell71.  There is some discussion about whether it is a planetary or a Hydrogen region.

Thanks! You made me just change the title of the post. It is slightly irritating that the plate solving routine in Astrobin apparently does not recognize Sh2 objects.

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Thanks! You made me just change the title of the post. It is slightly irritating that the plate solving routine in Astrobin apparently does not recognize Sh2 objects.

If you use CdCiel then there is an SH2 catalogue out there somewhere.  I find it very useful.

I've just checked my images of the region and I have a single OIII 10 minute exposure.  There is some OIII there, but it is very faint.  I think that your camera is more sensitive to OIII, so it might be worth investigating.

2 hours ago, don4l said:

If you use CdCiel then there is an SH2 catalogue out there somewhere.  I find it very useful.

I've just checked my images of the region and I have a single OIII 10 minute exposure.  There is some OIII there, but it is very faint.  I think that your camera is more sensitive to OIII, so it might be worth investigating.

Good idea. I add it to future things to do!

Archived