Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Prints on aluminium.

ollypenrice

On 16/11/2018 at 21:14, Xiga said:

Mick when the acrylic one arrives would you mind taking a few side by side pics of it against the aluminium one? I'm intrigued how the high gloss finish looks

Hi @Xiga,   this is not going to be very helpful,  I have had both outside in cloudy diffuse light, inside with more reflections than seems possible, I don't like any of the snaps I have taken.

Over all I prefer the gloss of the acrylic - looks bright and more like on the screen whatever that means.  A little more expensive than the aluminium and remember to add £6.99 for postage.

With BonusPrint the aluminium is printed on the top surface, with the acrylic it's printed on the rear, other company's may differ, there is no colour adjustments made, they print what you give them, personally I think the red in both has come out a bit to much, the acrylic version has a blacker background more towards grey with the aluminium. Both have glued mounts and screws/plugs included. 

There is still the discount code above at 50%  'BPXMAS' tho there always seems to be some sort of discount.  I asked Photobox and their aluminium is also matt finish.  Snap shows acrylic on top of the aluminium, edge detail etc.

Corner.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks @Mick J that's really helpful. I think i'll give the acrylic a miss now.

I did order a small aluminium one myself from Bonusprint, just to see the quality first hand. I quite like the matt finish, so I might order more in future. A word of caution though, they appear to scratch quite easily. I admit I probably haven't been too careful with mine (it's been transported to my mum's house and back again in the boot of the car) and I've managed to get 2 scratches which are really quite prominent. See pic below. So be careful with yours!

20181123_215911.thumb.jpg.b55f6f84401980ee46955af9961ebd1b.jpg

I got my aluminium prints back from Bonusprint too.  Mixed results I'd say.

The Bonusprint finish is  matt, not like the gloss finish that I think Ollie got from his firm, and I don't think it represents what you see on the screen.

My favourite of the below is the Lagoon - it actually has the look and texture of a painting (not what I was going for, but it works), and really comes into its own in tungsten lighting in the evening - it starts taking up a 3D effect with that darker stuff at the bottom in the foreground, leading back into the 'cave' with the 'lagoon' bit arching through the foreground.  The hourglass is a touch blown though.

The Helix print however has definitely lost detail - all those tendrils that point towards the centre have got blurred out a bit, though the way the faint outer wisp sits against the background has come out quite well.  The Orion is just a bit flat, and not the crop I would have wanted if I had a free choice of canvas size.

Apologies for the poor quality snaps, it's a dim dull rainy day here in London.

20181124_142636.thumb.jpg.b62fda1655131bb385e113049c49c418.jpg20181124_142609.thumb.jpg.05f30dab56be0ddd2aa34db8ad5c828f.jpg20181124_142517.thumb.jpg.416eae380bc2b68d49596706e08de310.jpg

(haha, just noticed my copy of the Pixinsight book has made it into the photo !)

1 hour ago, glowingturnip said:

I got my aluminium prints back from Bonusprint too.  Mixed results I'd say.

The Bonusprint finish is  matt, not like the gloss finish that I think Ollie got from his firm, and I don't think it represents what you see on the screen.

My favourite of the below is the Lagoon - it actually has the look and texture of a painting (not what I was going for, but it works), and really comes into its own in tungsten lighting in the evening - it starts taking up a 3D effect with that darker stuff at the bottom in the foreground, leading back into the 'cave' with the 'lagoon' bit arching through the foreground.  The hourglass is a touch blown though.

The Helix print however has definitely lost detail - all those tendrils that point towards the centre have got blurred out a bit, though the way the faint outer wisp sits against the background has come out quite well.  The Orion is just a bit flat, and not the crop I would have wanted if I had a free choice of canvas size.

Apologies for the poor quality snaps, it's a dim dull rainy day here in London.

20181124_142636.thumb.jpg.b62fda1655131bb385e113049c49c418.jpg20181124_142609.thumb.jpg.05f30dab56be0ddd2aa34db8ad5c828f.jpg20181124_142517.thumb.jpg.416eae380bc2b68d49596706e08de310.jpg

(haha, just noticed my copy of the Pixinsight book has made it into the photo !)

Yes, my print on aluminium had a high gloss but yours look good in the pictures.

Olly

Interesting thread. I must check if this is available locally as well.

17 hours ago, glowingturnip said:

So does your copy of Asterix, it seems. ?

These guys are also very good.  German company so takes a few days to reach UK.  Just received a 40x30 of melotte 15.  Not yet on the wall but very happy with the outcome.  High gloss on aluminium is a great finish.  The image itself is far from perfect but I'm tracking my journey through AP.  I always find that when I'm struggling with an image, looking back on how far I've come is rather settling.

https://uk.whitewall.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiArenfBRCoARIsAFc1FqeDXdDi2dKvOAzlEZoYVNBu03CcJw-jCyOG-Gg3tHnNG upElY90jXvNQaAgzgEALw_wcB

Hi Jason, that link takes you to the following: -

Advertiser no longer active!

You have arrived on this page because the website you clicked through from is running an advert for an advertiser of Tradedoubler. That client is no longer active with Tradedoubler.

14 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Jason, that link takes you to the following: -

Advertiser no longer active!

You have arrived on this page because the website you clicked through from is running an advert for an advertiser of Tradedoubler. That client is no longer active with Tradedoubler.

Link works for me

34 minutes ago, glowingturnip said:

Hahaha, as you can see we keep well-ordered and erudite bookshelves.  Asterix and the Golden Sickle I think that one is, though we do have the full set.

https://uk.whitewall.com/ for Jason's link - looks interesting.

Whenever I want to understand the French view of the English I turn to Asterix...

:icon_mrgreen:lly

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

I would have agreed Neil except when I physically type in uk.whitewall.com on my PC it goes perfectly there.

Yes but the data after the URL is an ad tracker so it goes through Tradedoubler, which appears not to recognise it as valid (presumably as it doesn't come from a mobile device) so it barfs instead of feeding it the URL that goes with the ad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

Thought i would update the thread with some feedback and important revelations i've discovered about BonusPrint. 

I wasn't happy with how my M31 aluminium print came out. Firstly, there was a white bar running along the entire bottom edge, but more importantly, the whole thing just didn't look 'right', and parts just looked plain over-exposed compared to what i was expecting.

So i got in touch, and i have to say the Customer Care was excellent. I got chatting to Danielle, who was very helpful and understanding. I didn't have to send the old one back before getting a refund or replacement. She gave me a code to order a new one free of charge, but more importantly, she was able to tell me that their editor makes enhancements to all images before they are printed! So i asked what enhancements were made, and she came back to me this morning with 2 attachments, one with enhancements and one without. 

Needless to say, the difference is massive! They were sent to me as pdf's, so i've converted them to Jpg's and attached them below (they even have the white bar at the bottom, which was simply a printing error). She said when i place the new order, to send them an email with the Order Number and asking that the order be printed Without Enhancements, which i have now done. Hopefully someone reads before they print it again, lol. 

Anyways, thought i would let you all know, in case anyone else is planning on ordering from BonusPrint. 

Without enhancements:

1910288282_withoutoptimalization.thumb.jpg.23198c1718ab715058d7e541f5dfe44a.jpg

With enhancements:

1914929427_originalwithoptimalization.thumb.jpg.30d3cb64445f424e96a9235df14cd883.jpg

Archived