SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Narrow band from colour ?

I read somewhere on this forum a comment that you can take colour images and convert to narrowband ?  And then process .. 

can someone tell me something about the complexities of this , or have I got the wrong end of the stick ? Was it just a Luminance frame ?

thanks Brian 

For narrowband images, you need narrowband filters, there's no way around this. But you can use nb filters with a colour camera. In processing you'd extract the appropriate colour channels. Eg, for Ha or Sii you'd use only the red channel of your colour images.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/10/2018 at 18:40, Brian28 said:

I read somewhere on this forum a comment that you can take colour images and convert to narrowband ?  And then process .. 

can someone tell me something about the complexities of this , or have I got the wrong end of the stick ? Was it just a Luminance frame ?

thanks Brian 

You can use a Duo Narrow band filter to good effect. You can also use a narrower UHC. By splitting the channels and processing them individually before recombining them and reassigning them to different RGB channels you can achieve a semi narrow band effect.

But its not the same as using individual narrow band filters. So you can come up with an approximation but you cant "convert". 

Adam 

Archived