Narrowband

My first try with Astrophotography M31 - M42

Amajed

Hi everyone, I've been an observer for a long time now, and finally decided to go for AP, I think I'm in love with it, the results alone make you forget about all the hard work you put to reach where you are right now, I've learned so many things, still learning, and I have a long way to go.

I'm an amture photographer, that help a bit I think. and I'm decent with post processing, so some steps were already there not having to learn everything from scratch.

enough with small talks, let's go technical.

Telescope:

Orion ED80 80mm f/7.5 Apochromatic Refractor Telescope + Televue 0.8x Reducer/Flattener

Orion Sirius EQ-G Mount

ZWO Mini Guide Scope + ZWO ASI224MC (for guiding)

Sony A7R III Camera

I used PHD2 for guiding, using ASCOM driver and a ST4 cable between the guiding camera and the mount.

I used a shutter remote for interval shooting and long exposures "bulb"

I used DeepSkyStacker for stacking the images, and Lightroom + Photoshop CC for post processing.

my location was Saudi Arabia, 100KM to east side of Riyadh city

here are the results

M31

x30 Exposures of 2:30 minutes + 8 Dark Frames

1284174484_AndromedaGalaxy.thumb.png.58e59af99da99262350a022944eb0243.png

M42

x25 Exposures of 2:00 minutes + 8 Dark Frames

2004858890_OrionNebula.thumb.png.648acf286297e9c458f45b65b63045e2.png

I have way too much to learn, and I'm so into this, it's so enjoyable and I'm pretty sad I did not start this earlier, better late than never ;)

Thanks guys, hope you like what you see, and please, I'm so into learning new tips and tricks, so don't hesitate to point  me to the right direction :)

I've posted these my my Instagram account, #anas_almajed I rarely update it, so I recommend not to follow if you are expecting a lot of activity ?

20 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Excellent first outing, very well done.

A little tip for M42, also take some shorter subs (say 30sec) to add on top of your longer subs in PP, this will tame the bright core down a bit so you can see the trapezium.

Nice tip, I was wondering how they do it, really the core is blown out, going to try it

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Shibby said:

Ridiculously good for you first attempt at astrophotography. It took me a long time before I got images anywhere near that quality!

Music to my ears, the first part ofcourse :D 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Amajed said:

Hi everyone, I've been an observer for a long time now, and finally decided to go for AP,

Seriously, I think you you should go back to visual observations only!

WHY ?  Thats one fine  set of images you have there, but you know what's going to happen next? You will get better! you'll want better?  and that gets expensive, VERY expensive, so my advice , if you want to save your money and  your frame of mind, go back to visual, otherwise, keep at it, and well done! ?

28 minutes ago, Charic said:

Seriously, I think you you should go back to visual observations only!

WHY ?  Thats one fine  set of images you have there, but you know what's going to happen next? You will get better! you'll want better?  and that gets expensive, VERY expensive, so my advice , if you want to save your money and  your frame of mind, go back to visual, otherwise, keep at it, and well done! ?

I was like WHY!!! :(

then I was like :D

true, it's expensive already, but I guess that's why we live, we farm and eat ?

thanks

8 hours ago, Toxophilus said:

Nice one. Those are a 1000x better than my first attempts at AP.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, will do ;)

10 hours ago, blinky said:

WOW for a first attempt well done!  Really nice, bet you have some amazing skies as well

We have a lot of sandstorms or dust in the air, but that night was exceptionally clear, no dust, no clouds and no winds. it was beautiful. Thanks :) 

11 hours ago, peter shah said:

Thats stunning.. for a first go amazing! The Sony a7r a very special camera...I have the a7s, cut from the same cloth ?

I've fallen in love with Sony system. they did a fine job with their mirrorless camera, Thanks ;)

Archived