Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
oldannie

Advice on first planned narrowband imaging please

I recently imaged the Crescent Nebula in HaRGB as my first CCD image having recently moved from DSLR imaging.  Not great but learnt a lot and it's still there for much needed practice on my processing.  I would like to try a narrowband  image next and would be grateful for some (well - lots) of advice! Is there any reason why I shouldn't try the Pacman nebula using Ha, O111 and S11 filters?  My set up is Takahashi 106ed, Atik 460ex - mono, with EFW2 filter wheel and Baader filters. I image from a fairly dark site in mid Wales. Any other suggestions for a suitable target would be more than welcome - perhaps bi-color would be less complicated as a first attempt at narrowband?

Are there any ground rules for determining the relative exposure times for each filter and what would be the minimum overall exposure time I should aim for?

I've also read that narrowband can do strange things to stars and that one way round that is to produce a set of RGB stars - that being the case am I right in assuming I would only need to take short exposures of my target to produce R & G & B stars, ie 30 secs?

This will all be quite a challenge for me but 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'!

Annie

Generally you need much longer exposures for narrowband.  I normally take 600secs Luminance, but 900secs or even 1200secs with Ha.  Oiii and Sii probably needs the same length too.

The target you have chosen will be a good one, or the Wizard nebula NGC7380.

I would not attempt to add RGB stars at this stage of your learning, it will just complicate things.  You will just end up with white stars if you use just the narrowband. 

But if you are determined to add RGB stars, yes just short ones will be fine.  

Carole 

Thanks Carole.  I may take some RG&B stars but hold them in abeyance whilst I work out how to do the rest.

Managed to combine my Ha with RGB (Crescent nebula) thanks to your U-tube video which was really easy to follow.  Keep them coming!

Annie

Thanks Annie, every-one keeps saying do some more, but I am not sure what else would be helpful.

Carole 

Edited by carastro