Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Grimbles

A Theft, Check Your Insurance

It's a terrible shame that the OP has been burgled and must replace their equipment. 

On the subject of insurance, I refuse to have any. The only insurance I have ever had is car insurance because "its the law". But I only have the lowest, cheapest, most pointless insurance simply because it is just a massive extortion racquet. 

I've never understood "voluntary excess" which you MUST pay. If I have given money to an insurance company for years with no return, why must I pay an excess if I make a claim? 

I'm better off putting the money I would have given an insurance company into an ISA, than a corporation that will do anything possible not to pay out. 

21 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

It's a terrible shame that the OP has been burgled and must replace their equipment. 

On the subject of insurance, I refuse to have any. The only insurance I have ever had is car insurance because "its the law". But I only have the lowest, cheapest, most pointless insurance simply because it is just a massive extortion racquet. 

I've never understood "voluntary excess" which you MUST pay. If I have given money to an insurance company for years with no return, why must I pay an excess if I make a claim? 

I'm better off putting the money I would have given an insurance company into an ISA, than a corporation that will do anything possible not to pay out. 

I think the point of an excess is largely to deter small claims, such as for paint scratches and broken wing mirrors.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think the point of an excess is largely to deter small claims, such as for paint scratches and broken wing mirrors.

Which would still have been more than paid for by the amount paid per year with no claim. 

We claimed a router, a TV and a Freesat recorder following a lightening strike that just about missed taking out the whole house.  We wished within 2 years that we had just replaced the items ourselves as after two years the increased premiums due to a loss of 'No-claims' discount were more than the replacement costs would have been!

Sorry to hear of the OP's burglary. I do store my stuff inside a locked garage, and we do have a (very inconspicuous) alarm system in place, but we rarely switch it on (because of the number of "false positives"). I sometimes wonder what burglars would do if I just had one or two odd-looking black or grey boxes with a little led flashing occasionally attached to the wall. If they cannot make sense of how to disable it (because the boxes in fact make no sense) they might just go to another house. It is a bit like the issue of bicycle theft in the Netherlands: you do not need the perfect lock, you need either a decent but rare lock that thieves don't know how to crack, or you need a lock that is just that little better then the bike next to it. I like the suggestion made by the character Gordon Way in Douglas Adams' "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul", which was to put up a sign saying "Disproportionate Response" in the garden.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Actually, non-fatal mantraps are still legal in the UK. The relevant part of the 1861 offences against the person act is till in force:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/100/section/31

" A mantrap is a mechanical physical security device for catching poachers and trespassers. They have taken many forms, the most usual being like a large foothold trap, the steel springs being armed with teeth which met in the victim's leg. Since 1827, they have been illegal in England, except in houses between sunset and sunrise as a defence against burglars.[1][2] "

Note well that they are only legal inside a house.

Well, you live and learn!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Actually, non-fatal mantraps are still legal in the UK. The relevant part of the 1861 offences against the person act is till in force:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/100/section/31

" A mantrap is a mechanical physical security device for catching poachers and trespassers. They have taken many forms, the most usual being like a large foothold trap, the steel springs being armed with teeth which met in the victim's leg. Since 1827, they have been illegal in England, except in houses between sunset and sunrise as a defence against burglars.[1][2] "

Note well that they are only legal inside a house.

I can well-imagine the consequence of setting a mantrap just inside the front door to catch any burglar breaking in. My stairs land just by the front door and a bleary-eyed (not to mention bleary-minded) individual coming down the stairs to make his first cup of coffee of the day to get his brain into gear, and  ... well, I'm sure you can guess the rest ...

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Gina said:

Agreed - you have to stay within the law.

So, you're saying I have to fill in the snake pit, remove the trip wire that fires the crossbow bolts and disable the pressure pad under the scope that releases the giant stone ball?  You never let me have any fun!  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Can I just remind posters not to post suggestions of actions that would be illegal or dangerous. Posts of this sort will be removed from the thread promptly.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I only insure where The Law or common sense compels me to (e.g. car insurance & in case my house burns to the ground). Any minor claim is not worth the bother - most stuff can be replaced. If my scopes ever get stolen I'll buy new ones (or even just give up astro.....)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the OP's tale. That Police response does make me angry, but I guess that's down to successive government cut-backs. 'Small Society' = police yourself, it seems?

Anyway, I asked my insurers whether my astro gear would be covered out in our summerhouse and they said it would - but I have just moved it all back into the house. It's the hassle factor of losing it/claiming/re-buying/re-setting, more than the cost.

• Like 1

I have a great insurance policy, she weighs about 7 stone has very large teeth and goes by the name of Lilly she also doubles up as an excellent alarm as so much as a stray leaf lands in the garden she wakes all the street, oh yeah and she doesn't like people very much, i rely on the fact that anybody looking for an easy payday would probably go next door instead, its worked so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's so depressing that acts that normal people have effect their lives today are consider, not that terrible to the LEO's.

Believe me, I feel their pain at putting their lives on the line everyday, but that's what they signed up to do.

It seems here in the States they're looking for the next BIG incident and have forgotten that a major theft is a big thing for working people. 

Every day on the news we see some one who's finally caught committing a major offense, who had many prior arrests and numerous outstanding warrants for their arrest.

Sorry. I'm putting my soapbox away.