Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lens pens how long before replacing

djpaul

Possibly.

The brush may be getting dirty, and the felt bit on the other end tends to dry out.

I only sparingly use the brush for carefully removing dust, dirt etc,

and if i really need to clean the glass in the eyepieces, i prefer Baader Optical Wonder.

I remember once, at an open evening a lady left mascara remnants all over my 24Panoptics,

but the Baader Wonder shifted it no problem. 

I've never used it on a refractor objective / Dob mirror though.

• 1 month later...
On 15/10/2018 at 15:28, djpaul said:

I've had my lens pen for cleaning my eyepieces for 3 years.

Is it time to replace it?

a lens pen is only clean once.  Thereafter, it is smearing the oils and grease from the previous eyepiece on the new one.

a lens pen contains a powder in the reservoir for the rubber end that is supposed to "burnish" the surface of the lens.  You can see the residue on the lens with a loupe.

If those two things don't discourage you from ever using a lens pen again, I don't know what will.

Use fresh, clean, cotton Q-Tips and a lens cleaner like ROR or isopropyl alcohol, or a fresh, clean, soft, microfiber cloth and some lens cleaner,

or Kimwipes, but please, do not use a lens pen on any eyepiece you value.

• 2 weeks later...

I  buy and use  boxes of Zeiss's  24  lens wipes. Their single use wipes, if I need to clean my optics.
For the very same reason Don mentions, its a single use item, therefore I can't ( shouldn't )contaminate between lenses/eyepieces.

Archived