Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 - Luminance + Old DSLR Image

The-MathMog

A new camera, means a lot of testing and seizing every possible clear night at your disposal. I used the first nights with my "ZWO ASI183MM-Pro" shooting hydrogen alpha, but now I wanted to test it on a broadband target.
And what better test-subject than good old Bode's Galaxy/Nebula, for this image size!

Upon processing the 3,6 hours worth of luminance data, I then realized that I missed the color in the image. So I went digging for the last images I shot of M81, which was with a Nikon D5200 sometime last year.
I aligned the images and set the old image to color, and got this as my final result.
I must say though, that I've probably gone through 20 different renditions of this one, as I kept trying to improve it, and finding a new favorite image  :D But here is the last one I came up with, together with the separate luminance data and the 2017 M81 image

Upon further investigation, I've noticed some dust-motes that has snuck into the image... Guess I need to figure out how to do flats.. They were never really necessary when shooting with the DSLR as noise would be too high anyway if you stretched it this much.

Shot with: ????
Skywatcher 150PDS
ZWO ASI 183MM-Pro (Nikon D5200)
Celestron Advanced VX Mount
Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
Baader Neodymium Filter

213 Minutes Luminance (4 Minute + 8 Minute Subs)
136 Minutes of Color DSLR (2 Minute Subs)

Combined Image (5.816 hour data)

M81-V9-2018-10-11-Web-Optim.jpg

Luminance Data (3.6 hour data - ZWO ASI 183MM-Pro)

M81-2018-10-15-BW-Process.jpg

DSLR Image (2.26 hour data - Nikon D5200)

Old-M81-Image.jpg

Any advice or thought are accepted with open arms!

One thing I know myself, is that I need to improve my mounts PEC data-set, to improve my guiding. It worked very well when I first did it, but that is like 1,5 years ago now. 

Archived