Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light, New Skytee II Mount - A Whole New Level!

cloudsweeper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Cautionary word - make sure the 3 grub screws are tight on your end-cap or it can unwind itself, especially with a scope attached. 

You can remove each grub screw and drill a pit using a small drill and use grub screws with a tapered tip if you want extra security against slippage.

Just now, johninderby said:

You can remove each grub screw and drill a pit using a small drill and use grub screws with a tapered tip if you want extra security against slippage.

I’ve had my Omni 120mm f8.3 ‘frac and my C8 SCT on that side of the mount with no slippage, although I did tend to use the other side of the mount for the heavier scope mostly, and lighter scope(s) on the left side in general.

Just now, johninderby said:

Good idea as the supplied grub screws have flattish ends and are susceptible to work loose. I don't mount anything on the end of my Skytee so its not really an issue. 

9 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Cautionary word - make sure the 3 grub screws are tight on your end-cap or it can unwind itself, especially with a scope attached. 

Yes - I've just removed that end cap to see what the fitting is like inside. The 3 grub screws to hold it steady and the end cap itself screws onto threads cut into the internal axis shaft.

I tend to use the counterweight bar plus 5-7kg of c/w on it for the big 130mm refractor so I'll leave mine as it is I think. A great solution would be a DT clamp design that allows the c/w bar to pass through when you need to use it. The Giro III had that facility on one arm - very useful.

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Unless we are talking quite heavy scopes, that are not balanced well on the mount, I don’t think there will be an issue. Even when I used weights on the end too with any scope there was still no movement. 

Great stuff!  Sounds like your mount is rock solid, mines been apart a few times to sort a few issues. 

3 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Great stuff!  Sounds like your mount is rock solid, mines been apart a few times to sort a few issues. 

Yeah, banged my head on it a few times which really hurt, but the only movement was my head it seems! Hehe! ;) 

52 minutes ago, johninderby said:

When I fitted an ADM dovetail to that side of the Skytee I simply drilled a hole in centre of the saddle thus allowing the counterweight bar to be fitted when needed.

The mod on my old much modded Skytee.

0875CA23-5943-433E-A748-304C6E5A31A7.jpeg

Ahh I see what you've done now it all makes perfect sense. Picture paints a thousand words, as they say!

I've been checking my Skytee II over this afternoon. Generally its in good order but a couple of the grubscrews had worked loose. I notice that the mounting plate that is on the opposite end to the c/w bar drilled end is held onto the axis by 3 rather skinny looking hex screws. Might have a go at improving that  - the clamp is attached using M8 bolts so seems a little unbalanced that the mounting plate is just held with 3 somewhat less substantial scews which look like M4. Ideally I'd like a bit more security for my Tak or TMB/LZOS refractor !

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

When I fitted an ADM dovetail to that side of the Skytee I simply drilled a hole in centre of the saddle thus allowing the counterweight bar to be fitted when needed.

That’s quite some modding going on there John. Excellent work mate! :) 

10 minutes ago, Waiffle said:

oh i didn't knew there was mount for 2 telescopes, but is it beneficial to have 2 telescopes poiting the same object?

Might not suit everybody, but I love it!!  ?  (See original post.)

But basically - different 'scopes, different views and properties - good to compare, and use the wider field as a guide.

Doug.

19 minutes ago, Waiffle said:

oh i didn't knew there was mount for 2 telescopes, but is it beneficial to have 2 telescopes poiting the same object?

Good for having one wide field view through a smaller scope, and a much more detailed look in a more powerful scope. Not essential no, but adds another dimension to observing sometimes. :) 

1 hour ago, Waiffle said:

For solar observing, it's great fun to have a white light filtered scope and a hydrogen-alpha scope viewing the Sun at the same time. Very interesting to see the contrast between details in the different wavelengths of light.

2 hours ago, Waiffle said:

Yep, as others have said, widefield and high power/more aperture or White/Ha solar are really fun on these types of mounts.

6627D62A-6A55-4DA3-95FD-16BEC999915A.jpeg

2ABB5A98-43D6-49C8-8A27-8C84935B3E90.jpeg

0042C12E-FC33-4C8B-88B6-D1890B1ED9E3.jpeg

0334830A-BD5E-4F7E-A2A3-2A0C94334BEA.jpeg

Until now, I've mounted the second (light) scope on the top saddle and co-aligned it with the Mak on the end (see image).

The advantage for me is to provide a w/f view of a starfield, but also I can look through the tiddler until the Mak has settled down.

Chris

mak+small.jpg

23 hours ago, johninderby said:

Do we have any idea of how to re-rate the SkyTee to (load) when it's mounted on a wedge - I'm thinking it is cast Al/Al alloy and a bit fragile.

FLO or SW should know perhaps...

Chris

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’d rate it as similar to an EQ5 as it uses some of the same internal parts and is cast from the same metal. 

I didn't realise until recently that the Skytee II is not a Skywatcher / Synta product. Steve at FLO tells me that it was produced by another far eastern manufacturer and imported into the UK by OVL so for quite a while was assumed to be an addition to the Skywatcher stable, but it's not, apparently.

2 hours ago, John said:

I didn't realise until recently that the Skytee II is not a Skywatcher / Synta product. Steve at FLO tells me that it was produced by another far eastern manufacturer and imported into the UK by OVL so for quite a while was assumed to be an addition to the Skywatcher stable, but it's not, apparently.

Would this mean that it is not equivalent to the SW product line and may therefore support a different load capacity?

Chris

24 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Would this mean that it is not equivalent to the SW product line and may therefore support a different load capacity?

Chris

Not sure.

The TS version claims up to 13kg per side:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4537_TS-Optics-AZ5-Alt-azimuthal-Mount-with-tripod-and-fine-adjustment.html

The OVL version 15kg each side:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-telescope_mountings/skytee-2_alt-azimuth_dual_load_mount_head.html

Personally I feel that my 130mm F/9.2 refractor, at 9.5kg or thereabouts, is about as much as I would want to put on the mount and thats with an ADM DT clamp fitted.

With the stock DT clamps I think 15kg would be a bit of a risk to say the least :shocked:

39 minutes ago, John said:

Not sure.

The TS version claims up to 13kg per side:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4537_TS-Optics-AZ5-Alt-azimuthal-Mount-with-tripod-and-fine-adjustment.html

The OVL version 15kg each side:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-telescope_mountings/skytee-2_alt-azimuth_dual_load_mount_head.html

Personally I feel that my 130mm F/9.2 refractor, at 9.5kg or thereabouts, is about as much as I would want to put on the mount and thats with an ADM DT clamp fitted.

With the stock DT clamps I think 15kg would be a bit of a risk to say the least :shocked:

So, tipped at 52 degrees, with a heavy scope on one side and an equally heavy counterweight on the other, both bearing down at an angle on the casting......probably not a good idea?

Chris

Skytee II failure after using a 17kg OTA. Happened a few months afterwards but must have overstressed the casting. Never seen another one fail like this though so put it down to being overloaded. FLO asked members for their opinions before quoting a max 10Kg load on one side.

48F4086E-BDD6-4B42-8F53-87035DBD57F5.jpeg

A610AFC2-6E20-47AF-AF2C-4FD64CC4B177.jpeg

Archived