Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light, New Skytee II Mount - A Whole New Level!

cloudsweeper

Not new as such, just newly acquired from Gus.    

I'd had to get countersunk machine screws for the ST120's dovetail bar, as the original protruding ones were too close to fit in the wider ADM saddle. 

6.30 - Moon near first quarter - so I decided to use it to try the set-up out, get the hang of lining two 'scopes up with the guidescope mount, and have the pleasure of using the 8SE manually for the first time.

The alignment was a piece of cake, then I got on with enjoying a fine widefield view of the Moon in the ST120 - over four degrees - clouds close by, reflecting moonlight, and creating a lovely scene.  Then across to the 8SE for a close-up - no swapping EPs to get a different view.  The atmosphere was very unstable, so I dropped the mag, but even at x68 the craterlets seemed to bubble.  Only slightly better at x48.

Keeping an eye on the much wider view and using it to keep the more magnified view central was a real delight.  And the slow-mo knobs made the whole operation smoother and better controlled than using the arm on the AZ4 mount.

To say I'm impressed is understatement.  It has taken observation to a new level of enjoyment for me.  Can't wait to take on further targets!

Doug.

P1060639.JPG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice report Doug. Your two scopes look a real treat on the Skytee 2. Have fun with it mate! :) 

I will Gus, thanks mate.  I thought I'd like it, but it has exceeded expectations.  And no, you can't buy it back!

Doug.

Looks good Doug. I don't recall seeing scopes both ends of these before, normally just one side and the top saddle. Is yours standard or has it been modded in some way? Either way its a great setup, wider field and aperture all in one rig :)

38 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Another happy SkyTee user! I certainly like mine - it supports a short heavy tube well (Mak 180) and the slomo enables tracking of planets and doubles even at high mags. (Bins work well on the top saddle by the way)

Chris

Indeed, Chris - very pleased with it!  Tried the slo-mo with cables, but seem to prefer operating with just the knobs.  Might try bins on top as well.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks good Doug. I don't recall seeing scopes both ends of these before, normally just one side and the top saddle. Is yours standard or has it been modded in some way? Either way its a great setup, wider field and aperture all in one rig :)

You're right Stu.  Gus had put the guidescope mount on the left, with an ADM saddle on that.  An excellent configuration - I don't think I'd have been so delighted with the "regular" mount!

Doug.

59 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Indeed, Chris - very pleased with it!  Tried the slo-mo with cables, but seem to prefer operating with just the knobs.  Might try bins on top as well.

You're right Stu.  Gus had put the guidescope mount on the left, with an ADM saddle on that.  An excellent configuration - I don't think I'd have been so delighted with the "regular" mount!

Doug.

I don’t know why they don’t do that as standard, it makes the mount a lot more useable. Good stuff.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I don’t know why they don’t do that as standard, it makes the mount a lot more useable. Good stuff.

I’ve seen quite a few threads on here where people have tapped holes in that end of the scope to add another saddle there, which is where I got the idea from originaly. In my case I also fitted the guidescope Mount there too which Doug now has the pleasure of enjoying. :) 

35 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

I’ve seen quite a few threads on here where people have tapped holes in that end of the scope to add another saddle there, which is where I got the idea from originaly. In my case I also fitted the guidescope Mount there too which Doug now has the pleasure of enjoying. :) 

Do you have an image? Mine has two tapped holes in that end already, but set at an angle to the main saddle at the other end.

Chris

5 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Do you have an image? Mine has two tapped holes in that end already, but set at an angle to the main saddle at the other end.

Chris

O, don’t have an image. When I drilled and tapped them I made them line up as best as I could so that the saddle would be close to level with the other one. The guidescope attachment I fitted then made it so I could get both scopes lines up exactly.

Archived