SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I would +1 the use of a 600D for AP because flip out screens are so useful, if you can cover a full frame with your scope/lens then the 6D is as good as it gets for Canon cameras noise wise but if limited to APS-C size sensors then the 80D is probably the best camera in the Canon range.

Alan

Canon 600D seems a popular choice. I use one and it is (relatively) cheap and effective, I bought mine for around £200 off ebay with a very low shutter count then had it astro modified for around £75 here........

https://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Customer-Modification-Service.html

I thought the flip out screen would be helpful too but quickly switched to linking it up to a laptop and using APT software so I don’t really use the screen anymore.  

I have an older canon 650D and the flip out screen is a boone. No more yoga like moves to get focus.

It also has live view and when focusing the image can be magnified which allows for a very tight focus. I added an after market battery pack (from Amazon) and this allows a decent eveing of imaging compared with just using the single battery in the main camera body.

On 15/10/2018 at 21:38, Alien 13 said:

I would +1 the use of a 600D for AP because flip out screens are so useful, if you can cover a full frame with your scope/lens then the 6D is as good as it gets for Canon cameras noise wise but if limited to APS-C size sensors then the 80D is probably the best camera in the Canon range.

Alan

+1

1 hour ago, 8472 said:

I thought a read the 7Dmk2 was the best Canon had to offer for astro use? Even besting the 6D, but obviously in crop guise only.

I have both the 7d2 and the 6d.  The FF 6d beats it hands down noise wise, especially at higher ISOs. The 7d2 does respond very well to NR though. As far as I'm aware, a FF sensor with nicely spread out, largish pixels (such as the 20mp 6d) will always beat a crop sensor with densly packed, smaller pixels (7d2).

23 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

The 6D has a slightly better read noise but the 7DMK2 has a better QE.

The 6D does see a lot of Ha without modding, even in short exposures.

30secs at 50mm f1.8
6dha.jpg

Nice capture, what scope was used ? 

10 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

The 6D has a slightly better read noise but the 7DMK2 has a better QE.

The 6D does see a lot of Ha without modding, even in short exposures.

30secs at 50mm f1.8
6dha.jpg

What target is this? My starscape knowledge is still pretty rubbish

I agree the 6d is fab, I had two crop sensor canons before both are very good but 6d is just that much every bit better, shame 6d has no flip screen

This was taken with my 6d at 20s with 14mm Rokinon f2.8

6025F416-63C6-4A3A-B238-FB7DC05035EE.jpeg

1 hour ago, lnlarxg said:

What target is this? My starscape knowledge is still pretty rubbish

I agree the 6d is fab, I had two crop sensor canons before both are very good but 6d is just that much every bit better, shame 6d has no flip screen

This was taken with my 6d at 20s with 14mm Rokinon f2.8

The image is the Cygnus part of the Milky Way.
In the centre is the North American and Pelican nebs, bottom left is IC 1396 and just visible to the right centre is the Veil Neb.

Archived