SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt at NGC 6888 using only LRGB subs

SlimPaling

Hi ..

I have managed to get my first attempt at NGC 6888 ... 9x300sec CLS subs and 5x300sec RGB subs.

Since reading up about this object I understand that it is pretty faint and really needs Ha subs to help bring out detail ..... I do have an HA filter on my wheel .... but the trouble is that I don't know how to combine Ha with my LRGB subs :-((((

Can anybody point me to where I can find out how to do this???

Cheers Mike

NGC 6888 Cropped.jpg

Hi ... many thanks for your suggestions .... I am currently looking into them and trying to understand how they are carried out. I am using Photoshop as I am finding PixInsight too complicated at the moment.

I am hoping to get some Ha subs and a few more CLS subs to add to my current set .... when the weather allows !!!

Cheers Mike

The background seems to be neutral in the image. In reality, the whole area is a bit red. If you have automically set a black point anywhere in the image, then you will get lose a lot of the red detail in the Crescent itself.

If you look at the Red stack, do you see more detail than you see in the colour version?

1 hour ago, don4l said:

The background seems to be neutral in the image. In reality, the whole area is a bit red. If you have automically set a black point anywhere in the image, then you will get lose a lot of the red detail in the Crescent itself.

If you look at the Red stack, do you see more detail than you see in the colour version?

Yes ... I agree that there is a definite red cast in my image.

This has been the most difficult nebula that I have imaged so far. The red stack showed very little real detail and I probably over did the amount of red to try to bring out the colour sufficiently. Plus the fact that when I added the Lum stack on top of the RGB layer the colour was initially a pale salmon colour which I have never seen before comparing results with other nebulae that I have processed before ? Not 100% sure why this should be so. I had to adjust the level of red even more to compensate and make the reds stand out better.

I am new to all of this and still have a looong way to go before I get things right!!! A great deal of reading and trial&error to be done!

Cheers Mike

Archived