Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this scope worth my marriage?

Hello all! it just so happens that a person not far from me is selling his Astro Physics 130GT Starfire F6.3

it sure looks like a serious scope. I am so curious, are they worth their hefty prices even used? I would love to hear from members.

Their prices reflect that Astro Physics scopes are some of the very best of their aperture class ever produced. They really don't get any better. There is a long waiting list (years) to acquire a new one.

While I have not had the pleasure of using one myself, in this case, I've read enough reports to recognise that these are very special scopes.

I would not risk my marriage for one though :smiley:

Having looked through Gavin's AP 130, same model I think, I would say it is not too shabby ;)

Not worth a marriage of course, but given sufficient funds I would add one to the fleet, in fact I would cull quite a few of them to acquire one!

9 hours ago, Sunshine said:

are they worth their hefty prices even used? I would love to hear from members.

Only the buyer can say if the big price is worth it or not........but if you want the best, then it’s usually very expensive. Please don’t forget that you will also need an adequate mount to match the premium tube assembly.

Potentionally a “lifetime” scope. Not worth a marriage of course, but if you let your other half know how much you would like it, then negotiate an agreement ?

Ed.

I am sure these scopes are amazing. I've never had a look through one and if I had the chance to acquire one, based on reputation alone, it'd be worthy of consideration. It depends how much disposable income you have I guess.  As has been said, best to look through the scope at a star before committing. Like all things though, there is the law of diminishing returns, meaning that you pay a lot more money for not much differentiation. Whether it's worth the money is relative, whether its worth your marriage is another consideration! How much better it is than the alternatives that are probably half the price? How often are you observing/imaging, calculate  the estimated 'cost per view' over the next 10 years and that'll give you an idea about whether it's worth it or not. Also consider the value you might get back if you need to sell it on in the future. 

Good luck saving your marriage ????

Steve 

I’ve got the newer GTX version which is part air spaced, part oil spaced. But in essence is the same scope as the one you are referring to.

Mine is a wonderful scope and because of it shortish length is easy to carry around and reasonably easy to mount (it’s still fairly heavy though so needs a good mount).

I use mine for visual (except for phone photos through the eyepiece) but I think most are used by imagers due to the fast f ratio.

It’s built extremely well and having done a side by side with my TEC140, I slightly preferred the views through the AP130GTX (so the TEC got exchanged for a TEC160FL ?).

It’s quite portable - I took it down to the Isle of Wight a few weeks ago as per this thread:

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

If a scope is worth more to you than your wife, then you are doing it wrong.

Nice scopes though.

Divorce will cost much more than this scope!

However.... "Quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten"

Someone has just forked out nearly half a million quid for a bottle of wine (Romanee Conti 1945, off the old vines before they were dug up).  

25 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Divorce will cost much more than this scope!

However.... "Quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten"

Someone has just forked out nearly half a million quid for a bottle of wine (Romanee Conti 1945, off the old vines before they were dug up).  

Very good basis for the argument in favour of the justification for the telescope purchase.The wine cannot be used and retain it's value whereas the telescope can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. And cheaper !.     ?

26 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Very good basis for the argument in favour of the justification for the telescope purchase.The wine cannot be used and retain it's value whereas the telescope can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. And cheaper !.     ?

Yes!  Positively good value for money.  An investment and an heirloom?

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Some of your responses have me laughing, and no, i would certainly never value any scope over my beloved wife.

Good answer, just so happens i feel the same about the present mrs nightfisher

On 15/10/2018 at 10:24, Sunshine said:

Hello all! it just so happens that a person not far from me is selling his Astro Physics 130GT Starfire F6.3

it sure looks like a serious scope. I am so curious, are they worth their hefty prices even used? I would love to hear from members.

Really impossible to answer the thread title question without at least seeing a photo of the scope and the wife....... ?

17 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Really impossible to answer the thread title question without at least seeing a photo of the scope and the wife....... ?

I think thats the best answer so far, by a long shot lol

21 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Really impossible to answer the thread title question without at least seeing a photo of the scope and the wife....... 

Come on! Really? How shallow... I expected better from a site like this!

We all know it's what's on the inside that counts!!! What if one of the lenses had a hairline crack?

Archived