Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A big thank you

MartinB

OK, so things got a little damp and breezy but that took nothing away from the fantastic organisation of this year's star party.  The Marquee  was superb, especially so given the weather.  Good talks, long live the hog roast, FLO's 18" dob did great service during the 30 mins of clear spells.  A lot of work has gone into all this so a big thank you to admin and mods for their time and effort.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, thanks to all who have worked to organise this year's star party and make it such an enjoyable event despite the inclement weather.  

The marquee with the provision of a bar on Fri and Sat made it a  an outstanding success and I felt that it brought everyone together in one place.

Thank you all, I've had a brilliant weekend and even managed an hour of observing dodging the clouds last night.

Couldn't agree more. The one thing we all want is the one thing we can't  control. ..the weather. I was booked till Tuesday but decided (grudgingly) to call it a day this morning. 

Hats off to all involved in this years SGLSP, top notch. 

See you all next year. 

Hi,

This was  my first time at SGL  and I don't think I'll ever forget it thanks to Storm Callum.

Anyway I'd like to thank the organisers, sponsors and everyone else who gave up there time to help and give talks.

I was booked to stay until Tuesday but being in a tent and with the rising water levels I decided to leave early.

Thanks again to everyone and I'll see you next year.

Doug

Just got home and would like to echo the thanks here. We had a great time despite the weather and was nice to put some faces to the usernames.

Special thanks to the organisers for doing a cracking job.

Looking forward to next time now.

10 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

Ilona and I have headed home a day early as the forecast doesn't look like improving.

A huge thank you to Grant and Daz and the rest of the Mods and all at FLO for a great star party. 

And thank you to you Mr Quizmaster, another excellent job even though we woz robbed!

All home now. A big thanks for all the organisers for putting in the usual fantastic event. Now we know that SGL actually stands for STORMS, GALES, LAKES....lol. 

Hopefully next year will be a little drier

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:26, astrolunartick said:

Had a fantastic time at what was my first star party. Thanks for a great weekend. Met some lovely people. Looking forward to next year.

Pete  

Good to meet you Pete, and thanks for the great if short session with your scope, see you next year god willing :grin:

Dave

ps: I'm still here, actually saw a couple of stars just now.

28 minutes ago, reddoss said:

lovely clear skies here at Lucksall last night after the moon went down. it lasted until dawn, managed to get some Ha images to go with my colour ones from last week.

Just 3 of us left now and I am leaving this evening.

I won't believe it until I see pictures! ?

Ady

(pictures of the clear sky, that is - not of you leaving ? )

Despite the weather, (or was it because of it), a great social time, good company and thoroughly enjoyable

I agree, the effort put in by the FLO guys, Mods talk presenters, mini exhibition, and cake makers is exceptional!

thanks

Mike

Meeting with old friends, making new friends, talking astronomy, learning, playing, eating and drinking?  are what make SGL star parties special for me (although adding observing with friends, showing new people new things, and playing with lovely equipment make them super-special!).  

The organisation is like the gracefully swan..... with legs going like crazy below the waterline ?  So a big thank you to Grant and Daz for the main organisation, Steve and the FLO guys for backup (including the marquee- BIG plus this year!), Stu for organising the talks, the speakers, Michael for the quiz ( on a per head basis I think our team won ? ), cake makers etc etc etc

See you next year everyone!

Helen

2 hours ago, reddoss said:

lovely clear skies here at Lucksall last night after the moon went down. it lasted until dawn, managed to get some Ha images to go with my colour ones from last week.

Just 3 of us left now and I am leaving this evening.

You have me leaving yesterday to thank for that :grin:

Dave

I'm going to add my thanks for yet another wonderfully organised event. Knowing what go's on behind the scenes it's quite a chunk of work that needs to be done, many months in advance; so a big thank you to those individuals @Grant @Steve @daz @Stu

What would have done without the marquee !!! Huge thank you to @FLO for dipping into their own purse for something that is not a trivial amount of money and literally saved the day.

I, for one would not mind in the slightest paying extra to have that facility every year; it really brought us all together. 

Oh, my nose has only just recovered from the comet sniffing experience  ?    @Helen

Hello All

A BIG thank you to all concerned in arranging SGL2018,  yet another great event!! Even although the weather was not to kind to us, Christina and I really enjoyed the talks and demos and of course the social aspect of the whole thing! The idea of the large marquee was great idea guys, so well done there!

It was great to meet up with old friends too and of course make new ones! What a great quiz Michael and the atmosphere during it was fantastic and of course the hog roast and the curry night was excellent too.

Best regards,

Christina and Hadyn - Isle of Man

3 hours ago, Spikey said:

I'm going to add my thanks for yet another wonderfully organised event. Knowing what go's on behind the scenes it's quite a chunk of work that needs to be done, many months in advance; so a big thank you to those individuals @Grant @Steve @daz @Stu

What would have done without the marquee !!! Huge thank you to @FLO

I, for one would not mind in the slightest paying extra to have that facility every year; it really brought us all together. 

We left the Star Party this morning having enjoyed a fantastic week at Lucksall and strangely, both our first and last nights presented some really good skies!

I enjoyed this Star Party more than any other I have attended despite the pretty appalling weather but the fantastic marquee kindly paid for by FLO and the wonderful camaraderie that brings out the very best in SGL members dismissed the clouds, rain and flooding easily. I only wish now that I had attended the whole of the Quiz rather than just the last round - next year, I won't make the same mistake as I now realise that it is not the quiz that is important but the banter and inclusion that is what it is all about.

Well done attendees, you all played your part!

24 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

We left the Star Party this morning having enjoyed a fantastic week at Lucksall and strangely, both our first and last nights presented some really good skies!

I enjoyed this Star Party more than any other I have attended despite the pretty appalling weather but the fantastic marquee kindly paid for by FLO and the wonderful camaraderie that brings out the very best in SGL members dismissed the clouds, rain and flooding easily. I only wish now that I had attended the whole of the Quiz rather than just the last round - next year, I won't make the same mistake as I now realise that it is not the quiz that is important but the banter and inclusion that is what it is all about.

Well done attendees, you all played your part!

You absolutely must attend the whole quiz night! Best part of the event, unless it's clear of course :)

I'm sorry we didn't get the opportunity to chat properly after we introduced ourselves, I had to rush off to deal with a minor tent disaster and then the opportunity didn't present itself again for the rest of the weekend! Maybe next year.

Archived