Narrowband

M31- A Patchwork Quilt

Here is a 3 panel mosaic of M31. The central frame was taken with a 102 mm APO and G2-8300 camera, the outer frames with an Esprit 150, same camera. All frames integrated and stitched together in APP, I think they have been joined together in the correct locations. First problem was the other two panels to fill in the corners would not integrate in APP. Spurred on by PhotoGav's talk at Lucksall, I am giving it another go in APP,  currently 3 hrs calculation time and counting.....

As you can see, the joins are horribly visible. I used a  routine from AstroBackyard to smooth out the background gradients which has helped a bit, but is there anything I can do to smooth the joins, particularly across the actual galaxy itself? I have done a bit of healing in PS at the 15-20 pixel level, but I am not a fan of this, too much like artistic airbrushing for my liking, but maybe that's my only option...…?

M31APP copy (2).jpg

Archived