Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ-1 Motor drive shaft speed ?

fwm891

Hi I'm building an EQ platform and looking to use the driver motor and controller for an EQ-1 RA axis ( https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-ra-single-axis-economy-motor-drive-eq1.html  ) or similar.

I can't find anywhere giving me the gear ratio for an EQ-1 RA axis so does anyone know the motor speed ?

I need this to calculate the friction wheel diameter for the EQ platform

Many thanks

Just found a photo online that strongly suggests there's some additional reduction using a gearbox attached to the motor output.  However it looks as though the motor and gearbox pretty much form a single unit, so perhaps that isn't relevant for what you want to do (unless you plan to split the motor and gearbox anyhow)?

James

Thanks James.

Found this on the ice-in-space site:

The EQ1 has 96 teeth.
The EQ2 has 100 teeth.
The EQ3-2 & NEQ3 have 130 teeth.
The HEQ5 & HEQ5 Pro have 135.
The CG-2 or CG-3 mount (used by Celestron AstroMaster / Powerseeker range) have 136 teeth..
The old EQ3 & EQ4, EQ5 & EQ5 PRO & Orion Skyview have 144 teeth.
The Meade LX and the Celestron CGE range have 180 teeth.

Which Gives me an output of 1 rev in 15 mins. From this I can work out the drive shaft diameter for the EQ platform... ?

33 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Interesting.  My EQ3-2 isn't 100% an EQ3-2, but a 2001 Sky-thingy.  I wonder if that means it has a 130:1 final ratio or 144:1?

James

I also have the Sky Scan 2001 version of the EQ3-2.

The RA worm ratio is 130;1 and the DEC is 65;1

Archived