SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ascom & PHD2

astro mick

Hi.

I use Ascom to control my NEQ6 mount,but use the ST4 Autoguder to control the guide camera.I have tried swtiching to Ascom Pulse guiding,but cannot get it to work.

At the moment i start PHD2 select the guide camera from the dropdown list,and also select Ascom HEQ5 for the mount.

When i click on connect all the mount is connected, but not PHD2.

If i open the PHD2 connect box,and it shows the the mount connected,if i click on connect all again,it just comes back with Failed to connect.

I must be missing something.

Appreciate a guide through to get this working,otherwise i will just stay with the ST4 port.

I have checked that in ASCOM it has pulse guiding selected.

Cheers.

Mick.

Hi

If you're using st4 then you need to select 'on camera' for the mount. However, pulse guiding is much better. Have you tried using the ascom diagnostics? You obviously have to have the correct com port number for it to work.

Louise

ps I take it you are running eqmod?

Hi Louise.

Yes as i say i am using the ST4 guide method at the moment,on a seperate computer.

I am using EQMOD,and connecting through PHD2 is no problem,it also recognises the correct com port.

Just not talking to PHD2.

Cheers.

Mick.

Hi Louise.

I run my system on two computers.

One i use for imaging and camera control.I am Using EQMOD and connect via USB using an FTDI cable direct to the NEQ6 mount.

I use Cartes du Ciel to  connect to EQMOD.

There is no guiding involved here.

The second PC i use only for PHD2 guiding.

I use the Orion Sharshoot autoguider,and this is connected to the PC and the ST4 autoguider port on the NEQ6.

From what have gleaned is that it is possible to do away with the ST4 port altogether,and connect VIA Ascom.

So basically i,m only using one computer and using Ascoms pulse guiding.

This is what i am having trouble with.

Hope this helps.

Um, that doesn't make much sense to me - why a second system for guiding? How can that work?? I think you should use just one system for everything. Guiding involves controlling the mount based on corrections from the autoguider/phd2 and yes, you should use pulse guiding via ascom/eqmod/phd2.

Louise

3 hours ago, astro mick said:

At the moment i start PHD2 select the guide camera from the dropdown list,and also select Ascom HEQ5 for the mount.

When i click on connect all the mount is connected, but not PHD

This doesn’t make sense Mick. What do you mean PHD isn’t connected (“but not PHD”) in the last sentence. 

Ok All.

I do have it working now.

I will try to explain.

As i explained to Louise i was using two computers.

I use Cartes du ciel to connect to EQMOD.

So theirfore the mount is connected and up and running.

In PHD2 when i clicked to connect i was clicking the button next to the mount, instead of next to the Camera which is the Orion Star Shoot.

But of course the mount was already connected,so i was,nt actually activating the camera.

All i had to do was to click the camera button when PHD2 opens the connect box.

The camera conneted,and was up and running,but i still control the pointing slewing etc through Cates du Ciel.

So now i am running all on one PC.

Looks ok,just need a clear night.

NOW about dithering.!!!!!!!!!

Mick.

Archived