Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

M44DSW

Hello from England

Hello from England!

Its important to note that living in England and performing astronomy is like playing Pool or Snooker for a hobby whilst living on a ship. The constant shifts in weather, half the time being under the jet stream and few clear night per year, at least at a weekend make it somewhat challenging. That said I enjoy my hobby which I am really only 15 years into. 

So I was pointed by a good friend here for advice, guidance and interesting chat, I hope to learn much and give some advice too. I currently perform both (yes unusual it may be) astrophotography and visual astronomy, the latter a recent venture back into serious visual after many years away.

I am fortunate to own a 12” Officina Stellare Corrected Dall-Kirkham which is about to relocate to Spain as a remote setup, I also own a copy of the The Night Sky Observers Guide by George Kepler and Glen Sanner whilst I search out my perfect scopes for visual. I travel a lot with work but make up for it with travel to the Canaries and other locations for astronomy many times each year.

Anyhow, for now hello from England and I dearly look forward to the conversation.

Clear Skies

Dave

9F7CF09D-F9FB-4AA4-BF17-F455CF44369B.jpeg

• Like 8

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum !

I think most / many of the members here are from the UK and EU so we understand the challenges of the weather here :clouds1::clouds2:

In fact a bunch of members are in Herefordshire this weekend for the annual forum star party - hope they are not getting what I'm getting here in N. Somerset !

You have some very impressive gear - look forward to hearing more about it. Looking out of the window at the moment, Spain seems a good place to be !

John

• Like 1

Hello Dave, Welcome to SGl. Very impressive set up. The Dall-Kirkham will reveal a wealth of information along with stunning views especially under Spanish skies. Your Dome is also very impressive.I can see it's not a Pulsar. and wonder what make it is. I like the bathroom cabinets nice touch and great for that early morning shave after an all night observing session...................Clear skies       Dave

1 hour ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Hello Dave, Welcome to SGl. Very impressive set up. The Dall-Kirkham will reveal a wealth of information along with stunning views especially under Spanish skies. Your Dome is also very impressive.I can see it's not a Pulsar. and wonder what make it is. I like the bathroom cabinets nice touch and great for that early morning shave after an all night observing session...................Clear skies       Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome. The dome was homemade, fibreglassed from a mould I borrowed from a one Keith Venables in the UK (it went on to make many many domes) and is 3.2m wide. I’ve just sold it to a lucky astronomer on the South Coast due to the relocation of my kit to Spain so will be sorry to see it go, I have fond memories of nights within the dome down to -12deg C in winter ⛄.

The off the shelf bathroom cabinets helped keep eyepieces and the many adapters in one place and was a good addition.

Thanks

Dave

Welcome Diddy Dave, looking forward to hearing about the new chapter in your astro imaging adventure.

Regards

Gingergeek

Welcome. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Edited by Floater

Hi Dave, and a warm welcolme from me here in rainy Swindon!

Edited by rwilkey

Welcome Dave, some serious kit you have there, and with moving it to Spain there will be no stopping you.  

SGL is a very friendly and helpful place.

Carole 

Howdy and welcome to the forum!

Hi, Dave, and welcome to SGL (from yet another Englishman ... not that far from you)

Welcome Dave, I am about to start on a project  called Build me an Ark. With so much rain now it might gain some backing from the lottery fund. Seriously tho, that sounds like a nice bit of kit you have there. My humble 8" Meade lx90 is just enough for me and my location so here's to more clear nights for us all.

Keith

• Like 1

Hello Dave, and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time with us,

see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum from Somerset.

As others have already - we know all about the weather here!

Nice kit by the way!

Steve

Hello Dave and welcome to the lounge.

Welcome Dave from Land Down Under

Will not comment about clear unpolluted skies this part of the universe

John

Hi Dave and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

Wow what a superb set-up. The 12” Officina Stellare Corrected Dall-Kirkham is my dream scope.

Steve

Too many to thank individually for the very warm welcome so thank you ALL! 

I have will post a separate item about todays fun and games tearing town the scope 

On 14/10/2018 at 10:11, M44DSW said:

So I was pointed by a good friend here for advice.

With a setup like yours, folk here may well be asking you for advice?

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge 

Edited by Charic

Welcome Dave, Best of luck with your relocate 🙂 Clear/Skies !