SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I am a beginner to this field, i have a National Geographic 76/700 telescope. When we were putting it together. We thought that the bottom of the tube was also a dust cover thus we removed the screws to take it off, it was the reflecting mirror could we have put  this out of alignment when we put it back in thus im getting images that are out of focus.

Yes, if you removed the primary mirror than more than likely you did uncollimate (put of of alignment) the mirror. You should do a collimation... have a look here:

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/how-to-align-your-newtonian-reflector-telescope/

...but there is a lot of information online if you google "Collimate a newtonian telescope".

Hi, Helen, and welcome to SGL.

I doubt if there is anyone on the forum who has not had one of "those" experiences. As Mars says, you will need to collimate. A bit of a "baptism by fire" before you've started, but, on the plus side, it won't have a chance to become the "bogeyman" that it can when you have put it off for ages.

Enjoy the journey.

Hello Helen,

Welcome to SGL

As others have said your scope may need collimating.

it’s worth trying to do this yourself - there are loads on online that can help.

Alternately you may want to talk to your local astronomy group - someone should be able to help.

Archived