Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Tried capturing M42 and horsehead nebula last night with my new Astro-modified EOS Rebel XT. During post processing I noticed these weird spots and lines across the image. Would you happen to know if this was because of the mirrors of the telescope (i.e. dirty mirrors) or is something wrong with the camera? What's weird is that this 2 images were taken with the same exact camera at the same exact position but some artifacts visible on M42 did not show up on the horsehead nebula.

Btw I checked the mirrors of the telescope but I cant find the weird long spots

M42rebelxt.thumb.png.a7b99dfa0aeeb5478c902bebb9e404cb.png

Horseheadrebelxt.thumb.png.c10b814ad6cd7045be2bfa396f752e33.png

Edited by lalou

This effect is caused by the heat up of you sensor (thermal noise) and  the reason why it stretches toward one direction, is because the image was slightly shifting between subs. When the stars/nebula were aligned but the noise was being moved in the opposite direction of the image drift, hence creating the "lines" or "streaks".  

The orion nebula looks much smoother than the horsehead due to the noise reduction used.

There is also a hint of something that might be sitting on your sensor.

Edited by MarsG76

I agree with @MarsG76 regarding the streaks. It's sometimes called walking noise. The only sure way to avoid it is to dither between exposures.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that M42 has a huge amount of reddish dust surrounding it--in deep images of this target you will see that it is actually embedded in a dust filled region.  Some of what you point out in that image looks like it might be the dust.

Rodd

Thanks for all your comments. I think I'm not used to the modded version yet since I think it is more susceptible to absorbing thermal noise compared to unmodded cameras. The video helped a lot!

13 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Keep in mind that M42 has a huge amount of reddish dust surrounding it--in deep images of this target you will see that it is actually embedded in a dust filled region.  Some of what you point out in that image looks like it might be the dust.

Rodd

M42rebelxtArtifacts.thumb.png.19b8d303decbbbfebc9c3b62f407c125.png

Actually I'm weirded out by the black lines from the image. I'm not sure if that is also because of the thermal noise or something on the lens of the camera or the mirrors

1 minute ago, lalou said:

Actually I'm weirded out by the black lines from the image. I'm not sure if that is also because of the thermal noise or something on the lens of the camera or the mirrors

Look at the dust lane right near the trapezium region (the main one separating the nebula from the little horn to the left).  Follow it down and it seems to just extend down into your circle you drew.  Some of this stuff is really there I think.  maybe you have stretched to aggressivly

Rodd

12 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Look at the dust lane right near the trapezium region (the main one separating the nebula from the little horn to the left).  Follow it down and it seems to just extend down into your circle you drew.  Some of this stuff is really there I think.  maybe you have stretched to aggressivly

Rodd

It looks weird already when I overstretch it  tho.

M42RebelXTTrial2.thumb.png.f962578544c570ef8a24b4188c6cea90.png

BTW do you guys have any recommended software for fixing or post processing these types of image which has a lot of thermal noise? Or do I just have to take better shots with less thermal noise?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CowsonConcrete
      Hi,
      Here's a quick shot of last night's moon.
      I've broken the crayford on my SkyWatcher 130pds so had to hold the focuser tube to get it sharp. Not ideal but I'm pleased with the result. 
      Àny ideas how I can add more colour without affecting the detail?
      Thanks

• By Akmcf
      Hi guys! 🙂
      My name is Andrew, I only just stumbled across these forums just now! Couldn’t have come across a better community to help me with some questions I have!

So I’ve Come to the conclusion that I’m going to be buying a Celestron Nexstar 6SE telescope everything about it appeals to me. I currently own a much older manual celestron telescope and am ready for my first proper telescope!
      I do plenty of photography and own a DSLR and am aware that with this telescope that it comes with a software that will record video of what you’re gazing at and stack the images if I’m correct?
      because I’m familiar with normal photography and not so much with Astro photography I was wondering if anyone could help me out. For the stocking software, is that all the process completed within the telescope and no DSLR? Or is that recorded with the DSL are and then the software stacks? What kind of adapters would I need to be getting into AP? By the way I’m looking at mainly photographing the moon and hopefully get some awesome shots of the other planets too! 😄 not so much deep AP, as from my research I’ve gathered that this isn’t the greatest for it... anyways.

Is it better to use a DSLR and an adapter on the eyepiece for imaging? Or the stacking and what would I need for best result stacking images, especially of planets like Saturn and Jupiter?! Are the individual eyepiece attachments you buy for the telescope, cameras in themselves? What is aci?  I’ve got no clue! Haha a lot to learn!

I thought I was on the right track looking by myself for equipment and I came across the 10MP celestron Neximage eyepiece or whatever it is? I’m not entirely sure? And also what is a T ring? Is that a Dslr adapter? Does the stacking software come with the telescope or with additional purchases?!
      Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Obviously I’m very excited to get going and am very keen on getting some equipment! Any answers are much appreciated!
      Have a great day!

Andrew
    • By Lewtron_Stellae
      Hi All, 
      I wonder if someone can please help, I'm fairly new to astrophotography and confused about aperture. Basically I'm looking at a Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens. It has the specs
      f4-f5.6 does this mean that the lowest point of aperture possible is F5.6 or will it go lower. What I find confusing is that I have a lens that's the EF-S 18-55mm lens which has the specs of f/3.5/5.6 however My camera does allow me to set the aperture at f/8 The reason I ask cause it is advised to use a low aperture of f/8 to capture images of the moon.
      Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    • By Matt Hayden
      Hello!
      What with all this locking down business and home schooling my ten year old son, I have dusted off my TAL-1 and created a slightly less than ideal setup in his room. The westward facing window has been providing great views of the moon and venus over the past week. Obviously doing this indoors is not great (the floor is pretty solid, as is the TAL stand!) but it does mean we get to use the scope every evening, rather than going through the process of carrying the whole rig outside every day.

I have a T-mount converter for my old-ish Pentax k-M DSLR, but have quite disappointing results with the camera, when compared to the observed image using the eye. The eyeball view is nothing less than banging - crystal clear detail with a 25mm eyepiece, strong contrast - it's spectacular. I add the camera with an eyepiece inside a tube, and can't replicate the same result, or anything like it. It's OK, but not good enough.
      I've cleaned the eyepiece today and collimated the scope. The primary mirror looks fine other than a couple of tiny dust particles, no scratches or weirdness on the coating. The camera is working pretty well as far as I can tell. Apart from a little clumsy-ness with the adjustments, the clarity in the eyepiece suggests it's all working fairly well. Photo attached of best result from last night.
      My question is: is this a focusing issue or some sort of aberration? Should I expect focusing to be difficult in the camera eyepiece? What's going on?! Does anyone have any other tips I can try to get this working better?

• By rockmattstar
      I have a nexstar 6se and I love it. I've only had it about a year and it's my first proper telescope. Every opportunity I'm out in the garden both looking through it and attaching my dslr to the back for fainter objects.
      I'm noticing I'm getting movement in the longer exposure photos and after a bit of googling I think it's the mount.
      So I'm looking to upgrade. I'm thinking something a little future proof but I'm not made of money so decent, reliable, cheaper end but good enough for astrophotography and with the possibility I might continue to add bits and pieces. 
      What do I need and how much am I looking? Help thanks in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.