SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Atik sofware/driver issues

Shibby

Bit of a bummer if you can't control the filterwheel through Artemis.  As stated there are other softwares you can use, but I wonder whether you might get the same problem.

I'd take that trip to Atik themselves and see if they can sort it.

Carole 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, carastro said:

Bit of a bummer if you can't control the filterwheel through Artemis.  As stated there are other softwares you can use, but I wonder whether you might get the same problem.

I'd take that trip to Atik themselves and see if they can sort it.

Carole 

Free to use the trial of apt. Would rule out an EFW fault?

I'll definitely give APT a try (would this use the ASCOM drivers?) I used to use APT when I imaged with a DSLR some time ago and liked it then! I've also been meaning to try out NINA at some point, which is developed by a member of an Astrophotography Discord.

Oh crikey, I have just realised I have bought a new 64bit laptop to replace my ageing and clapped out vista to be used as my 2nd laptop on my dual rig.  Having read all the comments on the Atik website and Shibby's experience, I hope I won't have the same problem.

It's just arrived and I shall be installing all the software tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Carole 

had no problems with my windows 10 64 bit computer, it tried to update the eqmod driver for my Neq6 pro mount, but just rolled it back and it was fine, cameras and filter wheels worked fine too, i use nebulosity to capture now though as it had more features than Artimis, turn off the auto updates though, it used to do it automatically and shut down when it had finished an update without asking me, not nice when your imaging with a cold camera.

I had a problem after a recent Windows 10 Pro update and had to reinstall the Atik Core Software. When you install Atik's core software, you must specifically tick 'add drivers'. It's perhaps a bit daft that they are not automatically embraced, but it threw me. Echo the advice about Atik Support. Their offices are a bit hard to find tucked away on a rural business centre, but super people.

I hook up my Atik Horizon by USB3 to a Intel NUC with Iris Plus Graphics and output to a 4K UHD monitor over Thunderbolt display port. Atik core software works fine with the latest computer technology. What doesn't work too well is mixing USB2 devices with USB3 whilst throwing a serial to USB adapter into the mix. I had a load of issues until I reverted to Celestron WiFi for scope control and direct connect for my wireless MKIT20-WL focusser. Trying to run Horizon + Focusser + Nexremote over USB2 hub resulted in lock ups and conflicts.  

I also find that older software like I-Cap (for Nexstar Burst cameras) must be run in Windows 8 compatibility mode. 

18 hours ago, carastro said:

It's just arrived and I shall be installing all the software tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Good luck! Hopefully the issues are limited to Win7 64 bit.

7 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

Echo the advice about Atik Support.

I did contact them on Friday but as yet have had no response. I'm not too concerned at the moment anyway, having got things working okay-ish with the old software.

Well I am pleased to say that Artemis installed OK on my new laptop (well new reconditioned laptop).  Both my Atik cameras and my EFW2  are working on it.  I always forget this Ascom thingy though when I install onto a new laptop, but all is done now.

Hopefully the issues are limited to Win7 64 bit.

My new laptop is exactly that W7 64bit, so I think something else is going on with your problems. 

Just have to install a few more bits of software and I will be good to go.

I noticed when installing Artemis, (and I installed a version from 2014) that you had to choose what you wanted to install and the EFW2 was listed separately, but I am sure you will have done that.

I hope Atik can sort out what is happening as all you can do currently is change filters one at a time, i.e. you can't set up a sequence and that is a big drawback.  

Carole 

I find connection of the EFW2 somewhat pernickety. It is sensitive to the order in which you do things, so start with the camera and wheel disconnected, start the PC, then start the camera and wheel and lastly plug in the USBs.

If you do find the wheel won't run in Artemis you do have a second resort: you can run it in Filter Wheel Runner which is part of the Artemis suite and, presumably, intended for those using an EFW2 with a non-Atik camera.

We've had the .net3.5 support message in William's thread above, too.

Olly

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

start with the camera and wheel disconnected, start the PC, then start the camera and wheel and lastly plug in the USBs

Thanks - I shall give that a go this evening to see if it helps!

22 hours ago, carastro said:

My new laptop is exactly that W7 64bit, so I think something else is going on with your problems.

I feel a reformat coming... Although, I dread making things worse while it's (sort of) working!

On 16/10/2018 at 22:22, carastro said:

Oh crikey, I have just realised I have bought a new 64bit laptop to replace my ageing and clapped out vista to be used as my 2nd laptop on my dual rig.  Having read all the comments on the Atik website and Shibby's experience, I hope I won't have the same problem.

Carole 

I only use 64bit, Carole, and have never had an issue with any of my Atik equipment.  

Edit:  Sorry just saw your second post saying it is all working :thumbright:

Archived