Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik sofware/driver issues

Shibby

Having acquired an EFW2 and finding that Artemis wouldn't recognise it, I updated to the latest Core software. Now, it won't recognise my camera (460ex) OR filter wheel :(

Perhaps I should really post on the Atik forum, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered these problems? The laptop has Win7 64bit. The camera shows up in device manager under "USB Serial Bus controllers" but isn't detected in Artemis. I can't see the FW anywhere - where should this show up in device manager?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

artimis will only detect the atik filter wheels, i have a sx version and that is ascom compatible but it won`t see it, check the atik website to make sure you have the correct driver, or using device manager , select the atik camera and roll back the driver to the last one that worked

I use Artemis same camera and filterwheel as you and W7 64bit laptop and had no problem connecting the EFW.  Which is just as well as I am no good with these sort of IT issues.

I'd contact Atik as they give very good support.  I am not sure if the Atik forum works any more.

I see you are located in East Anglia and I think Atik are too.  If all fails take your set up along to them and get them to sort it lol.  

Carole 

My kit is currently packed away deep in my van having been to astro camp, but if you haven't resolved this by the time I dig it out I will connect up the camera and EFW and see what comes up in device manager.

Carole 

I recently bought an EFW2, and I downloaded the core drivers from the website.  I can also check later if you can wait til this evening when I'm home from work.  I have a different Atik camera but it shouldnt make any difference.

That's brilliant - thanks @carastro and @tooth_dr

34 minutes ago, carastro said:

I see you are located in East Anglia and I think Atik are too.  If all fails take your set up along to them and get them to sort it lol.  

Hah, so they are - about 35 minutes away from me. I should do that! :D

OK, got something, Uploading screenshots a bit at a time. 

Device manager with no camera or EFW attached:

No camera No EFW.jpg

Camera only attached Atik460EX appears under USB controllers

Camera only.jpg

EFW attached, the HUman Interface Device changes:

This is with camera only 

HID camera only.jpg

This is Human interface device after plugging in the EFW

HID both.jpg

Finally this is Artemis with both the camera connected and the EFW.  I have put the EFW box in the middle of the picture to show it had a filter number showing which it won't if not connected.  Also the button has changed from connect to disconnect. 

HTH

Camera & EFW artemis.jpg

Hi Carole,

Thanks so much for the information, it's a massive help! I'm currently sat in the obsy trying to figure everything out. The EFW doesn't appear to show at all in device manager like it does for you, so I reckon there might be something wrong with my cabling.

The camera is showing correctly, but Artemis still cannot detect it - I've found somewhere on the web with previous versions and I'm going to try gradually rolling back the drivers until something happens!

Thanks,

Lewis

It might be worth trying a different USB cable.  

Oh you mean the camera is showing in Device Manager but not in Artemis? 

That is Odd.  Have you got the Artemis disc that came with the camera.  I'd uninstall the one you downloaded and use that.  

Carole 

Hi Carole,

Yeah everything seems fine and correct with the camera until I open up Artemis capture, so I'm currently in the process of installing an old version of the software/drivers. The software is all that's changed in respect to the camera.

The FW doesn't seem to rotate when I connect it, no, so chances are the power cable I made up is faulty, or the fuse - I will test it with camera's power cable, after I've (hopefully) got that working again!

It's pretty painful as this step seems to take forever, each time I install the Atik software. It's already been about 10 minutes:

Capture.PNG.c8b7b98a35448df7de93be1901f5cec3.PNG

Just now, carastro said:

Just wondering why you had to do a home made power cable for the EFW?

All my kit is powered from a bench supply, the cable from which runs to the mount. From there, I have DC distribution with everything fused separately. It's all worked flawlessly until now! (The old FW was USB only).

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Sounds like a disaster. Unplug all devices prior to reboot. 

Good idea...

Okay, I think I'll be coming back to this tomorrow! The good news is, my laptop is now booting and I've sorted out my power cable for the FW. Everything now shows correctly in device manager, but Artemis Capture is still failing to detect both camera + FW, even though the FW is detected elsewhere such as "FilterWheelRunner"

I've already tried 3 different versions of the Atik software, so I'll try another (older) one tomorrow and see if that helps. Anyway, thanks for the help - I'll update if I get any further.fw-2.PNG.f77e1d233587f95f60044d06fb95f03f.PNGfw-1.PNG.63746dfdd85249342be90c37fb3248ad.PNG

So I uninstalled everything and reverted to the software/drivers on the CD. I think it's named "Atik Software 2.5". Now Artemis Capture recognises the camera again! It still refuses to recognise the EFW2, but I am at least able to control it from FilterWheelRunner still. Not sure I dare tinkering any further..!

Bit of a shame I can't use the latest software or set up sequences with different filters, but at least I'm back in business! Thanks again for all the help.

Archived