SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hoya Red Enhancer / Intensifier RA54 77mm Filter

PeterCPC

Has anyone any experience of using one of these filters for widefield imaging? I don't want to lay out about £90 unless there are real benefits. I was considering it for my Samyang 135mm lens. I tried using a UHC-E filter for a recent capture of the Veil area but the results were far too red. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Peter

Hi Peter, 

I have used the hoya red enhancer with a older takumar 135mm lens & dslr. 

I live in a very light polluted area, where a 30 second exposure is basically orange.

It certainly allowed me to increase my exposure time, and the colour balance was much better, a nicer colder, more toward blue. 

I would say it introduced a slightly red tinge, but certainly easier to compensate for in photoshop than orange mush. 

I was pleased with it for what I paid, but it was much less than £90 (smaller filter), your mileage may vary!

My dslr is not modified either, i couldn't be sure how that would effect images with this filter. 

Hope this helps

Chris

Archived