Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

michaelmorris

Yet another DIY all sky camera thread

I recently decided that what I really needed was yet another DIY project for my observatory - an all sky camera. I decided to try to keep it small, simple and relatively cheap.

I picked up an ex demo ZWO ASI 120MC with stock wide angle lens for a song at Kelling Heath in September.

I bought a weatherproof 120mm X 120mm plastic enclosure and  115mm clear plastic dome from eBay.

My first job was to use a hole saw to make the required size of hole in the top of the enclosure.

IMG_20181005_150946209.jpg

Edited by michaelmorris
  • Like 1

Next I have mounted two small right angled brackets on the inside of the bottom half of the enclosure and bolted an off cut of aluminium between the brackets to act as a camera mounting/adjustment plate. The camera is attached to the aluminium plate using a tripod mounting screw, again from eBay.

I used my Dremel to cut out holes in the bottom of the base for a 12v cable and a USB lead.

IMG_20181011_204303686.jpg

Edited by michaelmorris

My original plan was to use a CCTV cabinet heater I had left over from another project for dew control, but there simply wasn't enough space between the camera and the dome to mount it.

So, I've bought a purpose-built all sky camera dew heater ring built and sold by dewcontrol.com for just £13.

I've painted the area of the enclosure that will be inside the dome with matt black paint to help reduce reflections, then glued down the dew heater ring.

IMG_20181011_204313421.jpg

Edited by michaelmorris
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

My original plan was to use a CCTV cabinet heater I had left over from another project for dew control, but there simply wasn't enough space between the camera and the dome to mount it.

So, I've bought a purpose-built all sky camera dew heater ring built and sold by dewcontrol.com for just £13.

I've painted the area of the enclosure that will be inside the dome with matt black paint to help reduce reflections, then glued down the dew heater ring.

IMG_20181011_204313421.jpg

I'm building my ASC in a similar vein and I am really impressed with your dew heater, dewcontrol.com  takes you to a timothy dukes site where there are no dew heaters, have you got a link to the actual dew heater please?

Many Thanks.

NB Edit: - Ignore me, just found them on https://www.dewcontrol.com/Other/cat3099126_2988948.aspx

Edited by Jkulin
  • Like 1

Yes, saves messing around with half a dozen resistors, trying to work out how to support them!

Yep, I have just ordered one of them, the only problem is that I'm building my ASC to run over POE via a RPi so will probably end up having to run a separate feed for the power to the heater as I doubt that I can get enough over the POE to provide a feed.

WiFi being terrible even with repeaters meant running POE which I was hoping there would be enough heat to keep the dew off, but its no big deal, I can run it out tidily into the garden.

• Like 1