Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ANOTHER Perseus Double Cluster

cloudsweeper

Not the famous and lovely C14 (NGC 869/884), but NGC 1545/1528.

The rain stopped and the sky cleared so I took advantage, using the ST120 frac for a change from the Dob.  I noticed straight away that stars looked dimmer (as expected), but I found the action of the frac on the AZ4 easier, and the wider view made navigating easier. 

Starting with Mirphak, I found my way to NGC 1545 - at x20 and over 4 deg of TFOV in the ES 30/82, it resembled a tight, fairly bright triangle with a few fainter stars around that.  At x50, more stars showed up with the better contrast.

NGC 1528 was in the same FOV (under two deg away - fine, unless you use a long focus 'scope), and was a pleasing sight, comprising many more close and faint stars, appearing clearer and richer at x50 and x60.

For cluster lovers who have not discovered this pair, they are easily found and enjoyable viewing.  

Doug.

Archived