Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

I am new to StarGazers Lounge, but wonder of somebody can give me some advice? I have a Mead LX 200 which lost power. I have changed a capacitor, the power now comes on but no control. any advice? 

Hi and welcome to SGL, Steve Collingwood has a lot of experience of Meade scopes so may be able to help.

Dave

http://sctelescopes.com/

• Like 1

Not much to go on, but a failed capacitor may have damaged other components so I would start by checking semi-conductors.

• Like 1

If the failed capacitor was in the “brick” handcontroller it usually is a fatal consequence.

I was recommended to replace ALL the capacitors on my LX200 scopes, before they failed.......

• Like 1

I think the troubles started when Meade upped the psu volts from 12  to 18v without upgrading the C's.

Repair it and stick to 12v.

Michael

Hi @NigRees1973 and welocome to SGL. :hello2:

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Hi and welcome to SGL, Steve Collingwood has a lot of experience of Meade scopes so may be able to help.

Dave

http://sctelescopes.com/

+1 for Steve Collingwood / SCTelescopes. :icon_salut:

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

If the failed capacitor was in the “brick” handcontroller it usually is a fatal consequence.

I was recommended to replace ALL the capacitors on my LX200 scopes, before they failed.......

I have changed one and now the power is back on, but no controls, so change them all then??

Did the one that failed damage the ribbon cable behind it?

when you say power is back on....what do you see on the handcontroller?

If the handcontroller is actually functioning......then I’d suggest replacing all the capacitors.

On 12/10/2018 at 02:39, Merlin66 said:

Did the one that failed damage the ribbon cable behind it?

when you say power is back on....what do you see on the handcontroller?

If the handcontroller is actually functioning......then I’d suggest replacing all the capacitors.

Thanks Will check the ribbon cable and change the all the capacitors. The display on the handset reads Mead and the power light is now on the main telescope. 

Handcontroller needs to read "Meade Object Library" at initialising sequence.