Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Fozzie

Turning a Vixen GP into a goto

Afternoon all,

I'm curious.. I have a very nice Vixen GP mount, with duel motors and a DD3 handset with ST4 port for auto guiding...

Is there anyway (other handset etc.) I can turn this into some kind of go to mount?

I'd considered a synscan handset, but I am fairly sure the MT1 motors have a different connector to the one on the sky watcher synscan handset unit..

All thoughts are welcome,

Ta

Fozzie

I've fitted a set of dual axis (non goto) Skywatcher EQ5 drives onto my Vixen GP DX mount - they fitted straight on without modification.

I would expect that the Skywatcher EQ5 GOTO system would fit onto the Vixen GP to replace the Vixen drives that you have fitted. The Vixen ones have a "tip negative" power connector I think which is the opposite to the Skywatcher system. The Vixen motors use a 8 pin DIN type connector.

I believe that the Meade LXD55 motors and handset (which are GOTO) will fit and work with the Vixen GP mounts.

There maybe other options that I'm not aware of.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, John said:

I've fitted a set of dual axis (non goto) Skywatcher EQ5 drives onto my Vixen GP DX mount - they fitted straight on without modification.

I would expect that the Skywatcher EQ5 GOTO system would fit onto the Vixen GP to replace the Vixen drives that you have fitted. The Vixen ones have a "tip negative" power connector I think which is the opposite to the Skywatcher system. The Vixen motors use a 8 pin DIN type connector.

I guess i'm ultimately hoping not to have to swap out the motors.. kind of seems a bit unnecessarily unnecessary (if that make sense) as they work very well indeed.... Your right on the tip negative, i had fun trying to get a battery to work with the DD3.. had to get a special cable and then cross the polarity  for it to work, which was fun..

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

I guess i'm ultimately hoping not to have to swap out the motors.. kind of seems a bit unnecessarily unnecessary (if that make sense) as they work very well indeed.... Your right on the tip negative, i had fun trying to get a battery to work with the DD3.. had to get a special cable and then cross the polarity  for it to work, which was fun..

I'm afraid if you want any kind of useable goto you will need to switch out the motors. I believe one (or some) of the earlier Skysensor controllers will give goto functionality with the MT1s but the slewing speed is so slow that it is not really something which is likely to be practical.

John's option is probably the simplest and cheapest. I found a GP-DX mount with Skysensor 2000PC and MT4 motors and that works very well. I do like the fact that it is original kit, and the controller is quite sophisticated for its time, and probably still now.

• Like 2

The Skysensor 2k was launched over 20 years ago and was a great piece of kit. Vastly superior to the lethargic SS3D which preceded it and which I also had.

I used to have the 1984 Skysensor - now that was a "brick" !

bresseruranus.jpg

• Like 4

I've seen posts of people using the synscan upgrade to add Goto to their Vixen GP mounts, but of course you'll have to replace the motors.

You could use AstroEQ with your current motors but they will likely have a very slow slewing speed.

https://www.astroeq.co.uk/tutorials.php

When I had a Vixen GP I used AstroEQ with two Stepper motors I bought off eBay for about 16 quid each. 

Edited by cuivenion
  • Thanks 1

Mmmmmm thanks for the replies gents..

I might have to think of another route if I want go to.. The GP has been quite happy for many years tracking along without a care in the world, I feel I might be foolish to meddle with the motors for fear of it upsetting and stopping working.. Id rather leave it than swap it all out, as simple an action as that may be..

I had thought about astro EQ, but then I don't want the hassle of a laptop and further power supplies..

Best brush up on my star hopping then...

Thanks again gents..

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 1

I can vouch for the Skysensor 2000. Its still considered one of the best GOTOs ever made. What system lets you input Comet data into it to track comets? I`m a Vixen freak, i love the stuff. The build quality is superb.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 08:16, Fozzie said:

Mmmmmm thanks for the replies gents..

I might have to think of another route if I want go to.. The GP has been quite happy for many years tracking along without a care in the world, I feel I might be foolish to meddle with the motors for fear of it upsetting and stopping working.. Id rather leave it than swap it all out, as simple an action as that may be..

I had thought about astro EQ, but then I don't want the hassle of a laptop and further power supplies..

Best brush up on my star hopping then...

Thanks again gents..

Ta

Fozzie

Why were you tempted to go with GO-TO Fozzie out of interest?

Also have you stopped using the Skytee in favour of the GP now?

Questions, questions.....

On 04/01/2019 at 14:34, Alan White said:

Why were you tempted to go with GO-TO Fozzie out of interest?

Also have you stopped using the Skytee in favour of the GP now?

Questions, questions.....

I think the go-to appeals for a number of reasons, mainly after planning a session it would be nice to "dial it in" as opposed to star hopping.. sometimes I find if I'm not 100% sure i can spend too long "searching" as opposed to observing.. my PA is quite good from home so it seemed a logical step from a tracking mount.

I dont mind star hopping but on an off night it can be quite frustrating i find, if your not finding things..

I've not used the skytee2 for some time now, the vixen GP is my preference with my singular scope, just ease of use, which is odd as I sold a non driven eq5 for the skytee2 as I didn't get on with the eq5.. the skytee2 is more for future use now after I sold the 200p..(when i get a bigger scope) ill use the sky tea 1 in 20 maybe if its easier to throw alt-az down, usually if I do any observing from work where I don't have my North marks on the ground.

I have recently being contemplating selling it on, not sure the returns are worth it..

Ta

Fozzie

Fully understand that reasoning and agree.

Some nights not finding takes over from finding and observing and then the fun evaporates.

I think you should fit the SW Goto kit for the EQ5 to your mount, it will be a sensible move forward, 

you don’t remove any of the main mechanical parts so should not change the mounts good behaviour.

I am tempted to get a GP or similar and do the EQ5 Goto kit fit myself, but ......

Or the onstep system or a instep board, or a little-foot...

The steppers on the mt1 are up to the job, you need to put 18 or 24 volts across them with ballast and current control to get better speeds out of them.

The Heq5 are the closest to a drop in.

I did the goto4all MOD from etx motors onto an old Sx mount, followed by building an SS2K control onto a larger vintage mount. Working on assembling a instep for my horseshoe mount now. 

• Like 1

AFAIK there is no solution for using the MT-1 motors with a 3rd party goto controller. The Vixen goto solutions used a variety of different motor types but none were MT-1.

We point people to the EQ5 Synscan option since the iOptron GOTO Nova disappeared.

HTH

Pete

• Thanks 1