Narrowband

M31 very first attempt

Hughsie

This is my first image of the Andromeda Galaxy taken through a telescope. There is some trailing so I will need to be more careful when polar aligning, however, the imaging was also unguided just relying on my AVX mount. Image details as follows;

29 Light Frames @ 90 seconds taken on Tuesday 10 September - No moon and Bortle 4 sky. ISO 1600. Dark Frames x 5.

Taken with a Canon T3i Rebel through a William Optics Z61 and Flattener.

Software - APT, DSS and Photoshop.

Better polar alignment needed and more data collected, both lights, darks and flats will improve the image but overall I am pretty pleased with 43 minutes (I was in a hurry!)

Thanks for checking in.

John

M31 Final.jpg

8 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Nice image. It may just be my phone screen but could it benefit from knocking the green back a few points?

Interesting John, because it was horribly green after stacking. I undertook a white balance adjustment which cleared it up quite a bit. Thank you for the feedback. 

You have two good anti-green tools available. The free/donation one is Rogelio Bernal Andreo's Hasta La Vista Green on his Deep Sky Colors website and the other is Pixinsight's SCNR (green.) Green really can be a problem colour!

Olly

Thanks Olly. Unfortunately I process with Photoshop on a Mac and so PixInsight SCNR looks out and HLVG is a Windows product. So from what i have read about both I look doomed! Will have to keep working at that white balance and RGB alignment.

Following the feedback and some more reading on the web, I downloaded the trial version of Pixinsight just to see if I could remove the green hue then took it back into Photoshop and processed the remainder of the image there. Must admit, I do like the look of Pixinsight and fortunately/unfortunately I have damaged a tendon in my foot which means no weekend chores for me so I can review the Pixinsight tutorials much to my wife's annoyance!

M31_Final.jpg

Archived