Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

Helen

Acces to a couple of 2m scopes - what would you image and why?

Given the weather forecast......

We'll have access to the Faulkes Telescope Project's scopes - probably via a queue system rather than real time operation.  That means a 2m in Hawaii and another in Australia, as well as some smaller 1m and 0.4m scopoes around the world.

So..... what would you like to image and why? 

We will then run with the best ideas  😎

Helen

• Like 1

Oooo think I still have access to these :D Some spectra might be interesting, a bit different but still interesting and I have used before.....

My favourite observation using these was the Eagle Nebula in H-alpha, although pretty low in the sky at the moment if would be nice to have that done again

Edited by SimonS

For me it has to be Eta Carina, An iconic, Southern Hemisphere only object.

• Like 1

One of those cracking southern hemisphere galaxies would be nice.

NGC253 maybe.

Has to be the elusive M83 we try to see low down each year at the star party.

It also is very beautiful in images..

For those who can stay, Sunday evening should provide some clear skies.

Stay safe Helen and everyone. The winds are going to be strong and gusty tommorrow lunchtime and Saturday lunchtime particularly and will come from the south. Place cars on the south side of your tents with any tent openings to the north.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Has to be the elusive M83 we try to see low down each year at the star party.

It also is very beautiful in images..

For those who can stay, Sunday evening should provide some clear skies.

Stay safe Helen and everyone. The winds are going to be strong and gusty tommorrow lunchtime and Saturday lunchtime particularly and will come from the south. Place cars on the south side of your tents with any tent openings to the north.

Thanks Mark 🙂  

Weather is 'intetesting' here this morning! About to be brave and leave my warm, dry pod for breakfast - question is 'walk or car'??

I am for the first time staying Sunday, so hoping the dob can go star-hopping hunting 😁, and some solar during the day would be good too!

Helen

My vote would be the  taranch   Spider nebula in the lmc ? 

I agree with Spikey. must be southern skies

The faulkes telescope network has access to a number of 1m and 400mm scopes with larger fields of view at more location than before we have plenty of fun using them.

Thanks for the suggestions all.  Based on visibility I've gone for NGC253 first with a 2m scope.  3x60s R,V,B (and 1x120 Ha just to see if there is much there 😉)   In the queue....  I'll post up a link to the data when available and we can all have a play 😎

Helen

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Helen said:

Thanks for the suggestions all.  Based on visibility I've gone for NGC253 first with a 2m scope.  3x60s R,V,B (and 1x120 Ha just to see if there is much there 😉)   In the queue....  I'll post up a link to the data when available and we can all have a play 😎

Helen

Ooh. I’m collecting data on NGC253 with Slooh’s 1m telescope. It’ll be interesting to compare the 2 and to have some Ha. 

• Like 1

For reference, all of the data taken for educational purposes is freely available from the LCOGT website

Here's the documentation https://lco.global/documentation/archive-documentation/  the zip methodology is a bit of a pain, so read the instructions carefully 😕 

The actual data are here:

https://archive.lco.global/?q=a&RLEVEL=&PROPID=&INSTRUME=&OBJECT=&SITEID=&TELID=&FILTER=&OBSTYPE=&EXPTIME=&BLKUID=&REQNUM=&basename=&start=2018-06-01 00%3A00&end=2018-11-30 23%3A59&id=&public=true 

You'll see the detailed search criteria on the left.  Note the different levels of Reduction eg RAW data (no calibration frames), quick look (which uses the calibration frames available at time of observation) or full BANZAI (which takes account of best calibration at end of session, solves the field, and calculates lots of other data too)

So if you want data to play with..... download away!

We're expanding our Science section, so I'll be looking to add FT data analysis in there too.  So we share what we've done 🙂

Have fun!

Helen

Lesson 1 - Note to self 🙄 Check field of view of camera/scope and size of object before choosing telescope.... D'oh  

But we do have the centre of a lovely galaxy 😉 (this is just a quick look save)

9902213.3078989134985438517.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJUXSECO4PUFSFGFA&Signature=L8SvP3TuVDWF9EQxYVTOXyiS5vw%3D&Expires=1539890244

Files available from here: 

https://archive.lco.global/?q=a&RLEVEL=&PROPID=&INSTRUME=&OBJECT=ngc253&SITEID=&TELID=&FILTER=&OBSTYPE=&EXPTIME=&BLKUID=&REQNUM=&basename=&start=2018-10-18 00%3A00&end=2018-10-18 23%3A59&id=&public=true

The unpacking is rather fiddly - here are the instructions:

https://lco.global/education/observing/fpack/

I look forward to seeing what you can make of these :happy1:

Have fun!

Helen

PS it might be good to re-run with the 1m and 0.4m scopes to see the difference resolution/light gathering/fov make - what do you think?

• Like 4

Opps

Yes it might be an idea to do with the other scopes.

Looks like the 2m would be good for PN's and suchlike.

Hi Helen I am still collecting data on NGC 957 with 2m Scope, still have to do all the analysis as I am preparing a talk to Wolves AS in Feb

• Like 1

Oops, I went looking for some Ha on M8 last night to add to a project and discovered the insanely small FOV!

Still, as you say, nice to have the centre.

I'll get the ball rolling then. Here's a quick go at it. Integrated using APP and PP with Photoshop. I combined the Ha but I'm not sure I did a very good job.

NGC253-combine-RGB-image-NoSt.jpg.715cd63979838b69e9d414cc2041ffe2.jpg

• Like 2

Ooh that's a nice start John - I like the colours coming through 🙂 

Helen