Narrowband

High Point Scientific 2 inch Coma Corrector-Imaging

Hello!

I bought the HPS 2 inch coma corrector https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescope-accessories/focal-reducers/high-point-2-newtonian-coma-corrector-photo-visual and I thought it would at least come with it's own manual showing the correct spacing etc.. but apparently it doesn't.

I checked some forums, and they are comparing it to the GSO CC on which I found a huge thread and it requires 75mm of spacing. The problem is that I haven't had success with 75mm spacing and I don't have enough spacers to try different spacings.

So is there anyone using this specific CC with good results? and what's the spacing you're using? 

Using an 8 inch Netwonian F5 btw.

Thanks!

Anthony

2 minutes ago, spillage said:

There are a few threads about spacing with images to go with them. I am sure if the stars are trailing towards the center of the image then you are too close, if they rotate around the center then you are too far away.

spacing - too close.jpg

spacing too much.jpg

Royalties to @swag72 

Actually I'm having plenty of problems currently, one of which is most likely to be tilt (offcentered coma, so one of the corners has more coma than the others), however all the soma around the corners seem to be pointing towards the center. I have another thread dealing with that issue, but for now I just want to make 100% sure what the optimal spacing for this coma corrector is before I can proceed with trying to solve the other 1000 variables causing my issue :)

5 hours ago, spillage said:

There are a few threads about spacing with images to go with them. I am sure if the stars are trailing towards the center of the image then you are too close, if they rotate around the center then you are too far away.

spacing - too close.jpg

spacing too much.jpg

Royalties to @swag72 

No kudos for me - I found this on another thread on SGL a few years ago and thought it was very useful..... Can't remember who posted it originally, but it's nothing that I did beyond cut and paste LOL!!!!

Archived