2 questions. Hairs in eyepiece and Blackened edges.

KingofUSA85

Hi,  I am relatively new to stargazing and telescopes.   I have three Meade 4000 Plossl Eyepieces I use and I have two questions concerning them.

1.   In all three of them I am seeing what appears to be hairs swimming in the field of view as I am looking through the telescope.   The problem is amplified the higher the magnification.  Is this normal?   The Eyepieces appear to be clean or atleast I am pretty sure I cleaned them correctly.

2.  The interior of the Stainless steel metal rings that come with the eyepieces are only 2/3rds blackened.   Is this normal?  Will this reduce the contrast of the image drastically?   I ask because the two stock MA eyepieces I got with my telescope are entirely blackened on the inside.   

Welcome to SGL.

Regardingthe first point if the bits are moving they may just be floaters in your eyes which we all have - they would move around and look more obvious at higher magnifications.

The unblackened interior of the eyepieces may have an effect but it would be less of an effect on darker objects and you would need to test back to back with another similar but fully blackened eyepiece to really tell.

Archived