Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
mark81

Perseus 'a' and ngc1444

Has anyone looked at Perseus 'a' recently? I've never really looked at random stars before but when I did, I thought I had stumbled across a cluster... A great tight string of stars sit just below it and a bunch of doubles sit all around it too - one of those little patches that make your eyes jump this way and that.  I had it through my 10x50s.  Worth checking out at low power.  

Just over from this star is NGC 1444 - Im not sure if I was looking at the cluster as it seemed to be much bigger than my Cambridge star atlas suggested it was , at low power you see a full f.o.v of faint stars in a 'wave' pattern.  But maybe they were just faint stars not listed in m atlas... Anyone veiwed this?

Clear skies, Mark

EDIT

It's amazing how a little mag can make such a difference.  Just looked again around Perseus 'a' at x16 and its really nothing to write home about.  Swap to 10x50s and its a different story...😐