SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Black Holes and Californication

Stub Mandrel

Everything that cold go wrong, went wrong, last night.

Imaging near the zenith highlighted a previously unrealised issue of RA backlash.

Microsoft reset my laptop while it was guiding AGAIN!

The upright scope lost focus so several hours subs on the Bubble were lost.

In the end I had to make do with far to few subs for the two targets I did get:

The Tulip Nebula, with Cygnus X-1 (or at least the poor star whirling around it on the way to extinction) making a guest appearance.

2081938790_TulipNebulawithCygnusX-1.thumb.png.c3ca67ee5f02032122d96640ab04bbae.png

Probably the noisiest image of the California Nebula ever produced... who needs detail when you have noise?

953703364_CaliforniaNebula.thumb.png.0690b04f42774f4669ed0ce8f78d5297.png

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Microsoft reset my laptop while it was guiding AGAIN! 

? You too? I am seriously starting to take the hump with Mr Gates. If I could get my ASI120 (old version) to work under Linux I'd move back without a second thought, but I've had no luck there at all...

My 2p's worth: 

If a windows update reset your laptop then make sure that the windows update feature is set so that doesn't update until you say so. An imaging session of mine was foiled by this once.

If you had a BSOD then check your laptop's memory is plugged in fully (if reachable). BSODS are usually faulty hardware or buggy drivers. Remove any unused software, especially if it uses a driver.

25 minutes ago, richardejm said:

My 2p's worth: 

If a windows update reset your laptop then make sure that the windows update feature is set so that doesn't update until you say so. An imaging session of mine was foiled by this once.

If you had a BSOD then check your laptop's memory is plugged in fully (if reachable). BSODS are usually faulty hardware or buggy drivers. Remove any unused software, especially if it uses a driver.

It's chiefly a work laptop, but I think I'm going to have to play with the active hours.

<edit> Switched on and got a message saying Windows had a major update and need to restart. Went to update manager and yes it's already gone through. I've set active hours to 11 to 5. Just hope it doesn't die at a critical early morning presentation...

37 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

? You too? I am seriously starting to take the hump with Mr Gates. If I could get my ASI120 (old version) to work under Linux I'd move back without a second thought, but I've had no luck there at all...

That's what convinced me to sell mine!  It was slightly more successful with the alternative ASI firmware but still not reliable to use.  Any other brand camera using the same sensor works fine.

Archived