sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

I've been guiding using PHD on my EQ5 & Orion Starshoot Autoguider for a while. I recently hooked up a QHY5-ll to do some planetary work om my main scope using SharpCap (successfully). However since then I've gone back to my deep sky work and the AutoGuiding is now failing with an Error - 22 (sometimes when connecting the camera and sometimes when trying to calibrate). Last night, having got past the error 22 on connection (connected the Orion late after starting the App) I then got an "start didn't move enough" error even though the settings hadn't changed from when I successfully guided (as far as I can remember). Also using the same cables to the same Win10 laptop. Not sure if the QHY camera is a red herring or a possible cause. Any pointers  would be appreciated.

No expert in PHD as only just starting but I had the error about 'Star not moving enough' and it turned out to be EQMod (Not sure if you are using) and the setting in there overriding PHD. Cannot remember the exact setting but it is top right of the window and has 2 slide bars. I set mine 3/4 the way up and this allowed PHD to adjust the mount further. May not be anything to do with your issue but it drove me mad for ages. Other than that setting it is often something I have done wrong with the connection setup in the software.

Hi

Try the settings in the photo I got them off YouTube it works for me. 

Also make your pixel size and focal lenth of your camer and guild scope are right in PhD settings but you probably know that. 

Solarboy 

DSC_0185.JPG

1 hour ago, Rob Glos said:

I've been guiding using PHD on my EQ5 & Orion Starshoot Autoguider for a while. I recently hooked up a QHY5-ll to do some planetary work om my main scope using SharpCap (successfully). However since then I've gone back to my deep sky work and the AutoGuiding is now failing with an Error - 22 (sometimes when connecting the camera and sometimes when trying to calibrate). Last night, having got past the error 22 on connection (connected the Orion late after starting the App) I then got an "start didn't move enough" error even though the settings hadn't changed from when I successfully guided (as far as I can remember). Also using the same cables to the same Win10 laptop. Not sure if the QHY camera is a red herring or a possible cause. Any pointers  would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Z3roCool said:

No expert in PHD as only just starting but I had the error about 'Star not moving enough' and it turned out to be EQMod (Not sure if you are using) and the setting in there overriding PHD. Cannot remember the exact setting but it is top right of the window and has 2 slide bars. I set mine 3/4 the way up and this allowed PHD to adjust the mount further. May not be anything to do with your issue but it drove me mad for ages. Other than that setting it is often something I have done wrong with the connection setup in the software.

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Are you using ST4 or pulse guiding ? whichever it is you could try the other to eliminate a few things.

Dave

1 hour ago, spillage said:

I am not 100% but is this not a connection issue with the usb lead. I would try another lead.

57 minutes ago, solarboy said:

Hi

Try the settings in the photo I got them off YouTube it works for me. 

Also make your pixel size and focal lenth of your camer and guild scope are right in PhD settings but you probably know that. 

Solarboy 

DSC_0185.JPG

Thanks for the various pointers folks. Will take a look at these today/tonight.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Quetzalcoatl72
      Below are consecutive raw pictures if the ring nebula I took with my canon 600da and RCT 8" with neq6 pro guided with sharpcaps polar alignment procedure on the 15th of this month at 1am. I have 20 of these all 1600 iso auto wb 2 minute exposures. The problem will become apparent when you closely examine them, tracking is almost completely broken. I only stacked about 8 of them as most of the frames are unusable, some are star trails, some are commas and some are double exposures. This has become standard and getting worse since I tampered with my mounts gears and backlash adjustment. I have never been able to get consecutive 3min exposures on this mount, and I got it new 6 years ago, and only used it less than 30 times. I have spent roughly 20 hours trying to get rid of the backlash, coffee grinding noise and knocking when I press the directional keys to no avail, when the keys are pressed I notice the image wobbles violently. The go-to is also not working to 100% efficiently, I have to do guess work if I want my image centred.

• By scotty38
      Hi all PHD2 seems to be playing up again and Iost a clear night again 🤬 Everything appeared to be fine and after polar aligning (separate camera to guide scope) I set up a new sequence.  That started up and focused, plate solved and then guiding started but after a few seconds of perfect looking guiding the RA and Dec went off the scale massively ending up with a PHD error along the lines of "PHD2 is unable to make sufficient corrections in RA, check for cable snags, redo calibration...." Images obviously come out trailed. I have an RDP connection to the laptop at the mount so after happening a few times I went to check for snags etc but it all seemed fine. I set up the sequence again at the mount and the same thing happened. Restarting the apps, power cycling the kit and choosing different targets all resulted in the same issue so I packed it all away. It was also the same if I used PHD2 via NINA or if I just started PHD2 on its own and tried guiding separately.
      I'm using an AZ-EQ6 with a WO guide scope and 120mm if it's relevant.
      I checked everything was tight and have not looked at any logs yet but does anyone have any bright ideas what might be happening please?
      Thanks in advance...
    • By David Ettie
      Anyone out there replaced the Motherboard on an Orion GoTO truss tobe Dobsonian, our Societys 16" started giving error messages stating it could not connect to either axis, we ordered and replaced the Motherboard which promptly "burnt" out, we are seeking a repair (believe this is basically a re-branded Skywatcher) any advise or help greatly appreciated.
    • By astrosathya
      I connect my mount to PHD2 using ASCOM and most nights I have the error "Star did not move enough" as well as "Suspicious blah blah, axis may not be perpendicular". This does not happen when I connect the mount via ST4 cable. I read somewhere that I can do a Calibration Sanity Check in PHD2. I am however unable to find that function in the software. Is it some pop up feature or does it have a location in the settings/brain icon?
      Any help will be highly appreciated.
    • By chris-32
      Hi,
      I am using the SA with a Canon 650D and a 300/4.0 L USM for some months now. In order to get longer exposure times (>30 sec) I just got a little guiding cam (TSGM120M: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8963_TS-Optics-Mono-Planetenkamera-und-Guidingkamera-mit-Aptina-CMOS-Chip.html).
      Stand alone guiding like the M-GEN II is way to expensive from my point of view, so I decided to use PHD(2) on a laptop to do the guiding. I use the Orion 50 mm Guide-Scope mounted on the second port of the L-Mount. But I don't know how to set up PHD2 to work with the SA. The guider-cam will be connected over USB to the laptop and over the ST-4 cable to the ST-4 port of the SA - now question about that.
      There are some users in the forum, who already work with PHD and the SA as far, as I have seen. So maybe someone could help me about what "Mount" and "Aux Mount" do I have to choose in the connection dialogue of PHD? How do I switch off DEC-guiding, as the SA doesn't provide it?
      Any experience with the dither function BackyardEOS provides with PHD2 connectivity?
      Many thanks in advance!
      Chris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.