Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Recommended Posts

Hi

Just tried out my new (to me) Canon 6D Mk1 at Galloway Star Party and discovered that my Windows 7, 64bit laptop doesn't see the camera when I try to connect it by USB, so I can't control it with BackyardEOS.

I've checked the device manager and it just doesn't come up when connected and switched on plus I've tried different USB ports. However, I don't have the same problem when I do the same with my Canon EOS 450D using the same cable with the same laptop.

Am I missing something important here? Pretty frustrating given it's the first time I've been out under a sky that good in a long time :(

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using the correct choice in BYE to connect. There are 3 to chose from.

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no specific driver for the EOS 6d mk1 (the computer should automatically detect the camera as a media device and load an appropriate driver)  so it might be worth checking the camera on another computer to see if the problem is replicated. Failure to detect the camera might suggest a damage usb port on the camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you switched the Wi-Fi off ? I seem to remember it clashed with the USB connections.

Have you tried EOS utilities ?

Dave.

Edited by davew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Are you using the correct choice in BYE to connect. There are 3 to chose from.

Peter

I've tried all of them Peter. I think the issue is that the laptop itself is not seeing the camera so BYE cant see it either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

There is no specific driver for the EOS 6d mk1 (the computer should automatically detect the camera as a media device and load an appropriate driver)  so it might be worth checking the camera on another computer to see if the problem is replicated. Failure to detect the camera might suggest a damage usb port on the camera.

Thanks, I'll try that, but I hope you're wrong ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davew said:

Have you switched the Wi-Fi off ? I seem to remember it clashed with the USB connections.

Have you tried EOS utilities ?

Dave.

Wi-Fi was off initially when I tried it but will check again. Not tried EOS utilities so will look at that, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that software like BYEOS and APT dont work with modern canon cameras even if its listed that they do.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried switching the 6D Wi-Fi on and off again and switching off the auto power saver on the camera too. Hooked it up to the freshly updated laptop and bingo, it automatically installed the 6D drivers and BYE was able to detect the camera. Think the camera Wi-Fi must have been on when I first used it and that threw things into confusion.

Thanks to all for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have found that software like BYEOS and APT dont work with modern canon cameras even if its listed that they do.

Alan

Define modern. My 750d works with BYE just fine.

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Define modern. My 750d works with BYE just fine.

Peter

My Canon 80D locked up with APT, not sure why or if its related to the processor version more than the camera age.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have found that software like BYEOS and APT dont work with modern canon cameras even if its listed that they do.

Alan

Yes they do  - what  evidence have you that "modern canon camera's" dont work on BYEOS and APT - if they are in the "support matrix" they normally work ok. The 6d mark 1 has been working on APT since 2014 http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=36 .

They even work on Indi LOL ?

The problems are normally when Canon and others release a "New Mark version" or a new model which the old Canon provided SDK (software Development Kit) doesn't support.

As soon as Canon releases the updated SDK both Byeos and APT normally do an update to support them.

I grant you problems do occur but that's software development its not perfect - its done by humans ?

If its a Mark ii 6D read this https://www.otelescope.com/forums/topic/2397-support-for-new-canon-6d-mark-ii/

So come on Alan give software developers a break they are working hard and mostly provide good working software !!!!!

Its not even Linux software this time its Windows ? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stash_old said:

Yes they do  - what  evidence have you that "modern canon camera's" dont work on BYEOS and APT - if they are in the "support matrix" they normally work ok. The 6d mark 1 has been working on APT since 2014 http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=36 .

They even work on Indi LOL ?

The problems are normally when Canon and others release a "New Mark version" or a new model which the old Canon provided SDK (software Development Kit) doesn't support.

As soon as Canon releases the updated SDK both Byeos and APT normally do an update to support them.

I grant you problems do occur but that's software development its not perfect - its done by humans ?

If its a Mark ii 6D read this https://www.otelescope.com/forums/topic/2397-support-for-new-canon-6d-mark-ii/

So come on Alan give software developers a break they are working hard and mostly provide good working software !!!!!

Its not even Linux software this time its Windows ? 

 

 

As I said above I tried my Canon 80D with the correct version of APT and it locked up solid and wouldn't reboot at first without removing the batteries etc. 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

As I said above I tried my Canon 80D with the correct version of APT and it locked up solid and wouldn't reboot at first without removing the batteries etc. 

Alan

Well the 80d does work - did you disable "Face Detection" (seems the main problem setting) plus other settings - According to other users the 80d has been working since 2017 with APT . http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=806&p=10667&hilit=80d#p10667

If you have problems with any software APT & BYEOS first check the appropriate forum for a solution if that doesn't work then drop them an email both APT and BYEOS are pretty good at coming up with solutions. ?  Assuming its the software not some other problem !

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By astrosathya
      Hi Everyone,
      While we all know that there are plenty of hubs out there in the market like Hitec Astro Hub and Pegasus Astro Hubs for providing 12VDC and USB comm link for good cable management, I am a DIY person with little to no experience in electronics. I do know how to solder reasonably well. 
      I am looking to see if someone here could help me with a circuit diagram for a hub that gives has 5x12VDC output, 3x5VDC output and 4xUSB powered hub for communication. I would then go out, purchase all components and build one for myself.
      This is only so that I don't have too many cables dangling off of my mount and becoming a constant trip hazard.
      TIA guys.
       
    • By Antoine1997
      This is my very first time working with a telescope and i'm having trouble connecting my mount to my pc (It seems very easy for you guys, shame on me).
      I've followed a lot of threads which helped me a lot on this forum but it still won't work.
      This is what I've done:
      -I've build a cable RJ12/USB with a USB/TTL chip connecting the Rx to the Tx, the Tx to the Rx and the GND to the GND. (with the adpated  driver which works fine)
      -I've installed the Driver "AzGoto by Armazem Do Telescopio"
      -I've installed the ASCOM plateform
      -I've installed StellariumScope, Stellarium and Skychart
      -In both softwares I chose the Driver AZ GOTO, fill in my latitude and longitude and the appropriate port COM
      But when I try to connect my telescope, I have to wait over 5 minutes until an error pops up with 'BasicApi.MountControlException"
      Do you guys have any idea what's going on ?
      Again, these are my first steps into Astronomy.
      Thanks you very much.
    • By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      I continue to get my Star Adventure to perform better.
      One very big problem if you have a camera that you can not tilt the display at, no tiltable display. I have the Canon 6D. It's almost impossible to see the display and do settings when the camera aim upwards to the zenith. I have until now used a very tall tripod, but that is something very big and not so friendly when travel.
      Instead of buying a new camera I now test to use an app in my smart phone and used that to see the display in live view from the camera.
      I have written a tutorial in an early stage of how I do that:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-canon-remote-control/page01-tutorial-canon-remote-control.html
      I will correct and add more information when I get more experience from this.
      I'm sure most of you alreday have done this, my concern is, how hot will the camera be. I have bad experience from this from earlier test with live view.
      /Lars
    • By Ahgii
      Hi all!
      Last night i went out to a friend's place on the outskirts of the city to image jupiter with my 8 incher and my DSLR. Atmospheric conditions were average-ish, just enough to push the scope to F20. I used backyardEOS in planetary mode to control the camera and captured jupiter 2 times about 45 minutes apart with 1700 Frame videos. In one of the images the great red spot is visible and in the other it's not. Please give me your honest feedback and advice, Clear skies!


    • By kbrown
      Got tired of the mess of cables and loose devices I had to always put together and dismantle after each astrophotography session so I figured I'd do something about it. This tray will sit nicely under the tripod and provide a hub for everything including Fused Power, Raspberry Pi, USB Hub, GPS, Dew Heaters, Long Range WiFi etc...
      First version will be really crude as I need to have this working in less than a week as I'm going on a holiday taking my astro gear with me.
       






×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.