Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS 6D PC recognition

ScopeDog

Hi

Just tried out my new (to me) Canon 6D Mk1 at Galloway Star Party and discovered that my Windows 7, 64bit laptop doesn't see the camera when I try to connect it by USB, so I can't control it with BackyardEOS.

I've checked the device manager and it just doesn't come up when connected and switched on plus I've tried different USB ports. However, I don't have the same problem when I do the same with my Canon EOS 450D using the same cable with the same laptop.

Am I missing something important here? Pretty frustrating given it's the first time I've been out under a sky that good in a long time :(

Thanks in advance,

Tom

There is no specific driver for the EOS 6d mk1 (the computer should automatically detect the camera as a media device and load an appropriate driver)  so it might be worth checking the camera on another computer to see if the problem is replicated. Failure to detect the camera might suggest a damage usb port on the camera.

2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Are you using the correct choice in BYE to connect. There are 3 to chose from.

Peter

I've tried all of them Peter. I think the issue is that the laptop itself is not seeing the camera so BYE cant see it either.

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

There is no specific driver for the EOS 6d mk1 (the computer should automatically detect the camera as a media device and load an appropriate driver)  so it might be worth checking the camera on another computer to see if the problem is replicated. Failure to detect the camera might suggest a damage usb port on the camera.

Thanks, I'll try that, but I hope you're wrong ?

1 hour ago, davew said:

Have you switched the Wi-Fi off ? I seem to remember it clashed with the USB connections.

Have you tried EOS utilities ?

Dave.

Wi-Fi was off initially when I tried it but will check again. Not tried EOS utilities so will look at that, thanks 

Tried switching the 6D Wi-Fi on and off again and switching off the auto power saver on the camera too. Hooked it up to the freshly updated laptop and bingo, it automatically installed the 6D drivers and BYE was able to detect the camera. Think the camera Wi-Fi must have been on when I first used it and that threw things into confusion.

Thanks to all for your help!

19 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have found that software like BYEOS and APT dont work with modern canon cameras even if its listed that they do.

Alan

Yes they do  - what  evidence have you that "modern canon camera's" dont work on BYEOS and APT - if they are in the "support matrix" they normally work ok. The 6d mark 1 has been working on APT since 2014 http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=36 .

They even work on Indi LOL ?

The problems are normally when Canon and others release a "New Mark version" or a new model which the old Canon provided SDK (software Development Kit) doesn't support.

As soon as Canon releases the updated SDK both Byeos and APT normally do an update to support them.

I grant you problems do occur but that's software development its not perfect - its done by humans ?

If its a Mark ii 6D read this https://www.otelescope.com/forums/topic/2397-support-for-new-canon-6d-mark-ii/

So come on Alan give software developers a break they are working hard and mostly provide good working software !!!!!

Its not even Linux software this time its Windows ? 

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

Yes they do  - what  evidence have you that "modern canon camera's" dont work on BYEOS and APT - if they are in the "support matrix" they normally work ok. The 6d mark 1 has been working on APT since 2014 http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=36 .

They even work on Indi LOL ?

The problems are normally when Canon and others release a "New Mark version" or a new model which the old Canon provided SDK (software Development Kit) doesn't support.

As soon as Canon releases the updated SDK both Byeos and APT normally do an update to support them.

I grant you problems do occur but that's software development its not perfect - its done by humans ?

If its a Mark ii 6D read this https://www.otelescope.com/forums/topic/2397-support-for-new-canon-6d-mark-ii/

So come on Alan give software developers a break they are working hard and mostly provide good working software !!!!!

Its not even Linux software this time its Windows ? 

As I said above I tried my Canon 80D with the correct version of APT and it locked up solid and wouldn't reboot at first without removing the batteries etc. 

Alan

15 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

As I said above I tried my Canon 80D with the correct version of APT and it locked up solid and wouldn't reboot at first without removing the batteries etc. 

Alan

Well the 80d does work - did you disable "Face Detection" (seems the main problem setting) plus other settings - According to other users the 80d has been working since 2017 with APT . http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=806&p=10667&hilit=80d#p10667

If you have problems with any software APT & BYEOS first check the appropriate forum for a solution if that doesn't work then drop them an email both APT and BYEOS are pretty good at coming up with solutions. ?  Assuming its the software not some other problem !

Archived