2 inch eyepiece adapter/extension tube

kev100

Hi there, I need a new eyepiece adapter for use with my Myriad 20mm and 250PX. The one I'm currently using (left) just doesn't extend far enough into the focuser to be safe with such a heavy EP. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Kev

IMG_20181010_080130.jpg

I have the same Skywatcher supplied 2" adaptor, and looking carefully, there is a slight bevel to the insert( not clearly shown in my image) so as long as your grub screws are tight, it should be safe enough to support the weight of your eyepiece.

I use my Panaview  often, but not sure that comes anywhere near the weight of a  Myriad, but my Nikon D5000  naked without battery is over 550gms. and I have never had an issue with the camera  falling out.

But I do understand your belt and braces attitude in protecting your assets.

IMG_3878.JPG

5 minutes ago, Charic said:

it should be safe enough to support the weight of your eyepiece

Hi Charic, Whilst I agree it should be safe enough, and I've been using if for a while now ... I've had a couple of near misses (one last night in fact), and now just won't risk it :)

Kev.

Carrying on with the research, I think I'll have to measure how much of an extension I actually need. I may be able to get away with a 35mm extension like this one: https://www.365astronomy.com/TS-2-Extension-Tube-with-35mm-Optical-Length.html ) thus reducing the overall distance the EP will extend from the focuser ...

4 minutes ago, kev100 said:

Hi Charic, Whilst I agree it should be safe enough, and I've been using if for a while now ... I've had a couple of near misses (one last night in fact), and now just won't risk it :)

Kev.

Like I said, belt & braces!

My Telrad  base is stuck  with M3 and tie-wrapped when in situ.

My camera strap folds around the  OTA.

Even with a longer reach insert on my eyepiece adaptor, I'd still be constantly re-assuring myself, checking those grub screws occasionally, sometimes, often,.......all-the-time!.

I'd  even considered adding hydro-elastic line to my previous  Delos range, and hooking that over the finder scope. I have some suitable for Monster Carp. The lighter stuff works well on binocular dust caps.

Archived