Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Scott

SGL 2018 Photo Competition

Hurrah for Scumbag College!

Nice stars...but I particularly like the way you make my Mondeo look like an Aston Martin! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, MartinB said:

Beneath the Summer Triangle Team Scum Bag College work on polishing their halos

Scum Bags.jpg

Fantastic picture Martin making me wish I had been there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beyond_Vision said:

Fantastic picture Martin making me wish I had was there.

We missed you all Kevin ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lulu57 said:

I really enjoyed that talk - it was excellent!

Agreed, it was an excellent talk.

The gorgeous sunset this evening almost compensated for the lack of stargazing. The most excellent talks most certainly compensated for it!

LUCKSALL-RIVER-SUNSET-TIMELAPASE.gif.fbcf7e4e2680dbdd96be3e251ef7a768.gifDSC_7245_HDR.jpg.37a5542ccafc7a99aa60e7be3f76033d.jpgsksunset.jpg.b0cbba06cae9c09ac0b88ccd6f21ee47.jpg

• Like 13

Beautiful colours John! Especially in the second photo!

• Like 1

Nice images guys!.. seems you made the best of it under horrid weather. I will make one of these parties again one year again.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2018 at 13:27, alan potts said:

Golly, send it here we need it, why can't the weather gods look on your parties with a kind face for once.

That's good weather by UK standards!

Here's another quick time-lapse of last night's sunset. Captured about half an hour after the sequence I posted before when the colour was at it's peak.

There are only 20 frames though because I wasn't actually intending to capture a time-lapse, I just left the intervalometer capturing frames so I could pick the one with the best colour. They all have gorgeous colour so I decided to do this, and I went to town with it!

Lucksall-sunset-timelapse-2.gif.7f68037daeccb52d83aa9cb084282d32.gif

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Here's another quick time-lapse of last night's sunset. Captured about half an hour after the sequence I posted before when the colour was at it's peak.

There are only 20 frames though because I wasn't actually intending to capture a time-lapse, I just left the intervalometer capturing frames so I could pick the one with the best colour. They all have gorgeous colour so I decided to do this, and I went to town with it!

Loving it!

A great example of wind shear. The low clouds skudding R-L, the mid level cloud almost directly opposite and the high level stuff (seen in the clearing on the horizon) moving across at its own jaunty angle!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Very artistic and atmospheric John, what are you calling it sunset over lake Lucksall ?

Dave

• Haha 1

Just now, Davey-T said:

Very artistic and atmospheric John, what are you calling it sunset over lake Lucksall ?

Dave

Something like that. Sunrise over Plymouth would be incorrect after all!

• Haha 2

Very nice images.! Hope everyone had a good time, and shame I missed it. But looking at the aftermath, I am not sure my little pop up tent woulda lasted. See yer next year :)

Nice sunset tonight, no wind may even get to see some stars ?

4AA49AA6-3AAF-49B1-A6F7-D75B262A6576.thumb.jpeg.2bd491ada2e94355dd889ee23539439f.jpeg

• Like 7

Took a pic just now... Some astronomy might finally be happening.

IMG_20181016_184554.jpg

Edited by AstroGnome
  • Like 7

I am only 10 minutes away from Lucksall and have had a nice observing session of the Moon, Saturn and Mars tonight.  I had to try out the 6" Newt I bought from Ade at the star party.

• Like 3

Managed a quick  DSLR shot of the Moon and Mars in the gaps.

Dave

Definitely Mars, you'll have to take my word for it :grin:

2136549418_Mars--stars.png.fd0a84d74c5a22b426feda95242ec06a.png

SGL-Moon.png.88bd57f5be5f32022ac15e3738aa6083.png

• Like 4

Some good entries here. we'll give it till Sunday. winners to be announced shortly after 

Just to prove that it wasn't all rain and flooding, I captured this Sunset at the SGL Star Party on 11th October with my iPhone as several of us walked down to the cafe for dinner. I have called the image 'Californian Sunset' for reasons that many deep sky images will hopefully appreciate!

1530039350_CalifornianSunsetfromTheOaksfield.thumb.png.f4fad94d793d9829e81d4a8da88975bf.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 15/10/2018 at 18:25, johnfosteruk said:

I love both of these time lapse sets - they capture the mood so well and add such dynamism to the scene.

On 12/10/2018 at 22:33, PhotoGav said:

Unfortunately nobody has had to complain about the light pollution from the fabulous marquee.... yet....!

Stunning image, Gav - you really ought to take up photography as a hobby or even a profession ..... ?

• Haha 1