Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Basic Dob base

david_taurus83

Hi all. I mainly image when I can when the weather permits but I don't want to give up on observing either. I would like to build a nice basic but sturdy dob base for dropping my 200p into for casual observing sessions. I've googled DIY dobs and there's a wealth of info out there with some neat intricate designs for building both base and OTA from scratch. I just want to make something simple that works well. Function over fashion is my motto! Has anyone one here built a dob base for their existing Newtonian? Can still easily switch the OTA from Dob to Eq if required?

Your 200p, as an F/5, will sit very low at a dob base. You either have to factor this in your build (make a tall dob base), or if your eq mount allows the latitude adjustment to be set at 90deg (or whereabouts) you can use it as an altaz mount.

1 hour ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Your 200p, as an F/5, will sit very low at a dob base. You either have to factor this in your build (make a tall dob base), or if your eq mount allows the latitude adjustment to be set at 90deg (or whereabouts) you can use it as an altaz mount.

Yes, my AZEQ6 can be used in alt-az configuration but it's a bit of a handful to get out and set up. Also, weather permitting it would be in use for imaging! Hence the thoughts of having a dob base that I can leave in the shed and just chuck the 200p onto within a minute and away we go! Low down suits me as I prefer to be seated. Standing and I tend to hover too much over the eyepiece!

Archived