Narrowband

Aurora by the lake (a.k.a. RIP camera and lens) :-(

On 26/10/2018 at 00:03, HunterHarling said:

That's good. 

I was wondering, could you see the color of the aurora with your own eyes? Probably not but it would be awesome if you could.

Usually the colour can not be seen but this was strong enough to give a hint of yellow/green in the pillars. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/10/2018 at 20:57, MartinFransson said:
Things just aren´t going my way right now...

Yesterday night I noticed aurora activity rising quick so I hurried out for a chance to catch some nice images. We rarely get visible aurora this far south.
I got a few really nice photos by a nearby lake (Bortle 3 skies) and then it happened...

Just as the aurora REALLY started to spark, I moved my tripod a few inches to get a better view aaaaaand..... the tripod fell. Into the lake. With camera, lens and all sad02.gif sad02.gif sad02.gif

Not only did I miss some of the best aurora action I´ve seen, it cost me my beloved Canon 6D and Samyang 24/1.4 lens. The camera was still running the exposure while underwater before it died and the lens had water inside it so no chance for recovery.

Still, here is a shot taken about 30 seconds before disaster struck. Hope you enjoy it... I´m not there quite yet.

IMG_9102-Edit.jpg

Hi Martin,

I keep coming back to your image, it is simply breathtaking, an amazing capture, I hope you are going to have this applied to a massive aluminium print and mount it in your living room? Absolutely beautiful ??

On 27/10/2018 at 12:42, Jkulin said:

Hi Martin,

I keep coming back to your image, it is simply breathtaking, an amazing capture, I hope you are going to have this applied to a massive aluminium print and mount it in your living room? Absolutely beautiful ??

Thank you! Well, I just might do that. I usually print on canvas or as framed photos but been thinking of trying something new. 

It would look beautiful in any hope Martin.

I have the Samyang 14/2.8 for my Nikon and they are an absolutely fantastic lens and this just shows how good they are..

Hopefully you captured this in Raw so the image quality will be maintained.

4 hours ago, Jkulin said:

It would look beautiful in any hope Martin.

I have the Samyang 14/2.8 for my Nikon and they are an absolutely fantastic lens and this just shows how good they are..

Hopefully you captured this in Raw so the image quality will be maintained.

I never shoot anything but RAW :)

1 minute ago, MartinFransson said:

I never shoot anything but RAW :)

Neither do I, but in very rare instances when for example I have been doing a firmware upload on my Leica's, it resets it back to .jpg, so pleased to hear that.

Looking at your Avatar it appears that you have a rather good eye, it woudl be good to see some of your other work.?

2 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Neither do I, but in very rare instances when for example I have been doing a firmware upload on my Leica's, it resets it back to .jpg, so pleased to hear that.

Looking at your Avatar it appears that you have a rather good eye, it woudl be good to see some of your other work.?

Feel free to take a look at www.martinfransson.com or Instagram profile: martin_f_photography

Archived