Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How Many Nights Do You Get It Than?

17 sessions in August

13 sessions in September

8 sessions in October (that includes the one I'll have tonight)

Yeah, I know it sounds like a lot but I'm a deep sky and lunar observer.

We get to use our scopes all month long. :)

Yeah I've never quite figured that, folk moaning about the Moon. I like DSO watching most of all but when old Luna washes out the sky I'm more than happy to look at her instead. Best sight in the sky.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prob get out once a week on average down here. Not always ideal viewing, and I'm normally only out 9-11pm(ish). Jupiter is the biggest draw right now as very high in the sky and good detail now. Last week got out twice, looking forward to the moon making an appearance to spend some time on it as I spend more time looking and less time faffing and tracking and making up my mind with the moon.

If I don't open a beer until after I get the scope out I'm usually out more. Once the beer has opened I can't be bothered :) Could have probably been out 4 out of 7 nights this week gone

Is it just me who read the title of this thread in a ... funny way?!

How do read read something in a funny way? Did you do it with an amusing accent or whilst marching with a funny walk? Perhaps there was some bodily contortion involved? :)

When I saw it, my dirty mind kicked into action and came up with an alternative interpretation for what it was actually referring to. :)

How do read read something in a funny way? Did you do it with an amusing accent or whilst marching with a funny walk? Perhaps there was some bodily contortion involved? :)

When I saw it, my dirty mind kicked into action and came up with an alternative interpretation for what it was actually referring to. :)

I read it while being fed grapes by my monkey butler...

I meant in a rude way!

hiya lord love rocket

I have been involved in this hobby now for nearly 42 years and if i have learned nothing else then i have certainly learned patience and how to use my time at the scope to the max when we have the clear nights available to us. someone once stated that England doesn't have a climate we have weather and they got that spot on. This year has been a very bad one for cloudy and damp nights but now winter is approaching our nights should be getting clearer but that is not a cast iron guarantee. So all I can say to you is be patient and persevere... Yes it is frustrating when you have a new scope and cant use it, but that doesn't mean you cant do Astronomy . Use the down time to learn the sky with the help of Stellarium and any books you can find and more importantly spend time learning about your scope and how to get the best from it it will be time well spent .

Observing time, is only one very small part of this hobby and there is much to learn. I have personally this year spent much time studying Photographs and reports about the different types of galaxies and nebulae and the type of features which make them uniquely different and from this i draw the viewing lists of objects i want to look at when the weather will allow .Also using Stellarium will allow you to work out the best times to actually look for objects in your piece of visible sky. So far this year its not just been the weather we have had to contend with many of the planets have been either very low in the night sky making viewing tricky to say the least. And in the case of Saturn, the Rings are now slowly becoming almost edge on to us reducing the wow factor so just write off 2008 and put it down to experience and look forward to hopefully a brand new year of observing and of dark skies and good seeing

best wishes Pete

I read it while being fed grapes by my monkey butler...

I meant in a rude way!

Welcome to the smut club, then! Nothing quite like a bit of innuendo! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!

p.s. Hello to the monkey butler! :D

Yes autumn/winter is definitely best - I always give a cheer when the clocks change, and nights tend to get clearer as we get more into winter. We were lucky the last week or two with frosts and clear skies - autumn is the season of "mists and mellow fruitfulness" which often means fog.

Archived